The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi there,
I am still trying to completely solve this puzzle. My joints I think do feel better when its warm and dry, however my eyey really can't cope with bright lights ie. the sun, I feel completely zapped of energy if I go out in the sun for too long, also my face rash reacts to it. I get raynauds so the cold is worse for this and definately wet weather makes my stiffness and joint pain worse.

So in short I can't really win either way!! :lol:

Take Care

Cassie. :)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there :)

I have to say that it doesn't affect me either way (so long as I keep generally out of the sun in summer). Of course, I do make sure I keep warm (we have very cold winters) as if I'm cold I tense up and that makes muscle soreness worse and so on.

I know it does affect some people.

Katharine

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi Wargus,
If all newspapers, TV, and even my brain was desensitized to any knowledge of dates or the seasons, my body would still know, as if like clockwork.

Without fail every year for the past 8, come the third week of September my Raynauds gets worse. That also kicks off my joint, chest, and thyroid problems. It will not be until late April/May that will be improved.
I suggested to my GP, that I should go and live in Spain, paid for by NHS, because they have mild (even warm) winters by comparrison to the UK. Great for my joints and Raynauds.

But in the summer, when there is high humidity, I'll get trouble breathing, as I have pulmonary fibrosis. Summers are getting hotter and wetter, which means more humidity.

At the moment I feel that winters are more 'risky' for me. The cold has and can give me DVTs; and what I dont want, is a major stroke. I'm told 'they' cannot do anything more for me about the Raynauds, just more layers of clothes. But the PF will get worse.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My body often does not like the damp cold weather.... doesn't like airconditioning units either especially if they are blowing straight on me....

·
11,410 Posts
Hi,

I am with Cassie on this one.:hehe: It really is a toss up which season is the best or the worst.
I guess lupus loves all the seasons for me.:p

Love,
Lyn

·
4,445 Posts
Both have their issues... more creaky in the old joints in the damp, autumnal, wintry days.... felt it this year with the change of climate.. my joints love the sun, but...my skin doesn't being photosensitive and it seems whatever the season I have to 'dress up' for it.... sunglasses, hats, suncreams, long sleeves or gloves, heat pads (raynauds) heated insoles.. body warmers, and generally running hotter and being a 'sweatybetty'... aaah to just go out without all this palaver and discomfort.... if I had to choose I prefer the summer it lifts my spirit! :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
i htink im better in hte spring, summer hurts me and winter does my hands feet in, and like katharine said you tense up more, are we ever happy :wink2:

keep warm lupies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have a different calendar

My (purportedly SLE related) allergies give me a different slant on the nature of a year. Being scholastically inclined, Labour Day in early September marks the beginning and it is generally fine until the crab apples, apples, mountain ash berries ripen and fall to the sidewalks giving me exercise in holding my breath. Harvest Thanksgiving means I can't even go to church. This is followed by Hallowe'en season and pumpkins on door sills, sometimes left to rot and their frequency overcoming my breath-holding abilities, so walking becomes impossible for a while. Then comes Advent and Christmas, aka Mandarin orange season. I frequently must forego meetings because of the generosity of folk who bring oranges as decorations and gifts. Then, when the temperatures approach absolute zero and snow comes and vanishes alternately with the Chinook winds, things are pretty good unless any of the above mentioned fruit have been left lying around and thaw with the Chinooks. Living in Calgary there are really not a lot of fruit trees but you would be surprised how early some fruit trees begin producing. It also means that visiting points West or South are impossible. (I would love to visit southern British Columbia but I sweae they have fruit either on the trees or rotting on the ground 367 days a year! Haven't been there in decades.) By late summer the trees are full in many places and so the Year of the Allergies comes 'round again.
This does not include SLE joint pain related to changes in barametric pressure or temperature changes. Anayphylaxis from airborne allergens is a trifle limiting. So which season is worst? Good question!
Douglas+

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.