The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I don't normally post just to vent but I feel like i'm over due considering the recent events,,, so here i go.

My body has been threating a flare for the past couple of weeks. Talking to me saying, you don't need your sunblock, go ahead outside you'll be fine. Or, saying, keep pushing yourself, you'll be fine.
When i'm in a flare, My slipped discs in my back hurt and my hips get stiff sometimes to the point i can't walk,, i get cold symptoms, stuffy nose and cough,not to mention the flu like symptoms, muscle pain to the 1000 power. Just everything gets worse,, IBS, Sjogrens, everything.

My daughter is a police officer, so when i saw her friend/coworkers number on the caller ID, i knew something was wrong, but I knew it wasn't that bad because if it was,, the precinct would have called or come to the house. So, it was kind of a relief seeing her co workers number but worry some still. Hence my flare begins.

When I got that call Sunday evening she said my daughter (26yrs and i'm 27 :), they grow so fast) fell off her bike and was sent to the emergency room. Well, her and her co worker were exercising and riding approx. 30mile per hr., down hill, when her bike decided to stop in a hole in the ground, tossing her, chest first, into her handle bars then flipping her 5 feet in the air, down onto pure concrete on her back. She was wearing a helmet Thank God, but couldn't breathe and she was bruised and scratched up pretty bad, so off they went in an ambulance to the emergency room.

As calm as i could be on that 1hr drive my husband and I took, to see her in the hospital, i knew that just the stress of all of this was going to put me in a flare, and it did.

She was on duty at the time, biking as part of a wellness session they are required to do, so most of her coworkers and her boss came to see her in the hospital. Which I thought was great :) . Even her old Captain came from another town to see her when he heard. He said she is like one of his girls,, He has 2 girls.

After head to toe cat scans and x-rays, they found NO broken bones or internal injuries........ Thats my girl!!! :)

So her co workers helped by packing her up and getting all her papers together for discharge that night and her supervisor made sure she had papers to relieve her from work for a week. I drove her car to my home while she was chouffered (spl) by Dad home with us. She was high as a kite on pain killers she could hardly stand up.

Poor thing looks miserable today. The doctor was spot on, (as the English say) about the 3rd day. On the third day, after the accident, it would be the worse, the doctor said. The day after she was good. Got up, took a shower, ate breakfast took her meds an even put ointment on her wounds the best she could, all before I got back from dropping hubby off at airport. BUT, the THIRD DAY, If i hadn't stopped her, she probably would have eaten the whole bottle of oxycodone. I don't think she has ever experienced such pain before.

She is resting now. Since she has been here both her and i just take our meds and go to sleep. Thank goodness i made a huge pot of seafood gumbo the day this all happened, so now, i don't have to cook. She had 2 bowls of it the first day she was here. Appetite is in good condition. My husband is out of town for a day, so less catering to him. The dogs never leave our sight, protecting us from any and all harm :) , they sense she is ill. Almost 200 pounds of puppy love.

I know this was long but I needed to get all of this off my chest so i can get back to normal, whatever that is. I don't know how long this flare is going to last but so be it,, i really don't care. My daughter is OK,, I am blessed to have that. That is all that matters. :rotfl:

Thanks for listening,

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Love

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there :)

Yep, these things are indeed very stressful. I'm glad she's OK and I think the best thing is to be positive and think of the third day not only as the worst but also as the peak - as in it gets better, even if only very slightly from here on in.

Look after yourself as much as possible, use your daughter as an excuse to pamper yourself as much as possible...

hugs to both of you,
Katharine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think the two of you need to head out to a good movie, and just enjoy each other's company before she goes back to work. Have a nice meal out too - & enjoy one of life's greatest gifts - each other!

I saw a lot of mother/daughter pairs seeing "Mama Mia" last weekend ;) But don't go to a funny movie until it doesn't hurt to laugh (I speak from experience here as I made that mistake after a bad horse riding fall!)

Take care of yourself too ;)

(((hugs)))

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi there!

Just wanted to say hope you are feeling better real soon and your daughter.:)

Hopefully you can do something together as others have suggested when you're both up and well!

Take care and rest plenty

Mrs M x

·
Registered
646 Posts
"Mama Mia" - no way. Surely that would make you cry out of boredom :p

Hope you both are feeling a lot better soon to be able to have a girly night out :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone,

We spent our girly time together when we weren't passed out from our meds.
Daughter is doing well,, she went home today, she has a busy week ahead.
Husband is out of town again, so it is just me and 200lbs of puppy love, my 2 cuddlers.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Sadie

What an alarm and upset ! I am glad she is so speedily and well recovered. I always used to think when my hubby was travelling on business that it made his being at home much better and made him more appreciative of home. Now he's retired I wish to goodness he'd regularly take a trip for a few days. I got very used to having my own time.

I hope you'll be feeling better soon Sadie
Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi sadie!

I'm sorry to hear what happened,what an awful shock :eek: but so glad your daughter is okay now and recovering well!

A few weeks ago my 13 year old daughter ended up in hospital having to have an emergency operation on her big toe and it sent me into an immediate flare :sad: stress & worrying about our loved ones certainly doesn't do any good for our health! but unavoidable unfortunately.

take good care of yourself sadie, plenty of rest and TLC.
hugs to you and your daughter :grouphug:
love karen x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts