TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
Today I hit rock bottom in terms of Lupus fog. Although I did not work in the automobile industry I was born in a motor town and have a life-long love of cars. I have a collection of about four hundred 1:18 scale cars. I have a lovely 21 year old Honda CRX Si in which I embarrass young men in tuner cars. People have asked my advice on what car to buy ever since I was in my early twenties. I have a library of hundreds of books and magazines about automobiles. I have been privileged to drive some of the most interesting cars in the world and, through the incredible generosity of a friend's father, I learned to drive on a Mk VII Jaguar. I have used trailing throttle oversteer to make a 1969 VW 1500 Beetle outrun a Mustang Mach 1.
Today my wife was driving and I started to tell her something and
I COULD NOT REMEMBER THE WORDS "STEERING WHEEL"!
I did manage to say something like, "you know, that round thing you're holding that makes the car turn". But for me to lose the expression "steering wheel" is like a mother forgetting the name of her first child. Right now I could give you a long and boring lecture on the history, materials and various shapes of steering wheels but this morning I couldn;t even name it.
And lest some wag think this is merely premature senility, I am not THAT old!:)
Please have a good laugh at my expense. Perhaps you feel like sharing your ultimate fog moments.
And be careful when you are holding that round thing that makes the car go around corners.
Douglas+

·
Registered
152 Posts
My dream is a 1956 Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria, in black, and that cream-ish off white color. Mmm.

This morning, instead of putting my cereal in a bowl, I very nearly poured it into the garbage can. Caught myself though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,

Items of clothing were mysteriously disappearing. Then I caught myself about to put some laundry in the GARBAGE can instead of the laundry hamper.
:hehe:
Tammie

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Ummm I have forgotten the name of my first born once :hehe:

The other day my daughter was driving my car in the city, having parked hers at the hospital. We were checking out her new accomodation and she knew my friend and I would get lost if we tried to find it. Before lunch whilst we were driving I said we will have to go back and move my car I don't want a parking ticket...................:eek: Er Mum WE ARE IN YOUR CAR!!

There are other times like when I tried to use the TV remote as a phone and vice versa and countless others I choose to forget ;) or was it a choice :hehe:

love
Lily

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
My scariest recent moment was coming out of a one-way street. I had absolutely no idea what side of the road to drive on! :eek: I live in Belgium but have never driven elsewhere - just here (for eighteen years!!). I actually had to say to myself "OK, we're in Belgium, what side do they drive on?" and I didn't have the answer - this lasted about 30 seconds which may not sound long but when driving.....

I can also no longer teach (in-company, high level to business people) as I can't find words - I used to have to find 5-7 synonyms for every important word a student said as part of my job (you know, had a problem, was faced with a problem, confronted by, encountered, ran into, came up against... that kind of thing). I also can't explain grammar any more. Can't say why we say "have had" and not just "had" and I did this professionally for 7 years, every day - at high speed.

I won't count the times I call the kids the wrong names, forget the sentence I've just said, have to re-ask a question as it's already gone, forgotten appointments... ask people to repeat sentences about three times as i have heard them but simply don't understand the words, rather like someone speaking to me in Chinese! Of course, I put things away never to find them again, have lost things that have been in the same place for years - just can't remember that place. Forgot my Mum's phone number that I've known by heart for 15 years...

I could go on but I think you get it,

Katharine

·
4,430 Posts
I got the peas out the freezer last week instead of the coffee beans and put them in my grinder.... did realise when I looked at the colour and knew I had done something wrong..................before I ground them!!:rotfl:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Few years ago I had to have my car MOT'd and decided to take it to a guy in the next street who ran his own business from home.
I went round to his house and he happened to have a cancellation that afternoon at 2 so we arranged it for then.
I went home and had lunch then at about 10 to 2 went back to his house for the MOT.
I rang the doorbell and when he came to the door he stood there for a minute looking over my shoulder then at me looking puzzled.
Then said 'Where's the car?'

·
Old Timer
1,599 Posts
Wow Douglas, I feel a "Welcome to the club" greeting is in order. :bigsmile: I know deep down it can be a bit scary but we learn to deal with it. We have to be quite entertaining to normal people at times, just reading this thread has me laughing. :lol:

I forget words all the time, even what I was just talking about. I really feel like I need an interpreter by my side sometimes. Personally I think people kinda enjoy filling in the words I get stuck on. It's like playing "Wheel of Fortune". :eek: You know I bet a Lupie was involved in creating that game! We should make up one called "What did I forget now?" :hehe:

Some days I remember what day it is, the date is a real bonus! Everything goes on the calendar (Appointments, Birthdays, Major events, etc.) or they would be missed completely. It took a while to train myself to look at the calendar twice a day, yes I even forgot to do that! :p

A common occurrence for me is that I'm always going somewhere else. I don't realize it until someone asks "Why are you going this way?" If I don't have a list with me, I will usually come home with 1 or 2 things because that's my memory limit. It happens more than you would think since I usually forget my list! :rolleyes: I've gotten very good about taking my cell phone with me. It will probably save my life one day.

Good luck Douglas, you have a few tips from the experts here. Best part about this place is that we understand each other. :grhug:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cheers everyone made me laugh.:lol::rotfl: well its not just us my daughters friend lost her mobile never guess where (In her bra of all places and thats a 20yr old lol:eek:):lol: I think I just keep tuning out at times I can instantly forget something Ive only just been told. :mad:Embarrassing at times lol. :lol:terrible with names a smile usually gets me by ;)Im writing my list of questions for my rheumy next week just hope I remember to take it with me.:rotfl: Find hairbrushes in the freezer. Always losing keys(need a chain) Oh well never a dull moment

dixy

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
"There are other times like when I tried to use the TV remote as a phone and vice versa and countless others I choose to forget or was it a choice" Yup, been there, done that. I've tried to dial with my remote too! Then wonder why no call goes thru!:hehe:

OH You all make me feel not so stupid. I bought a new lawn mower at Sears yesterday. OK, go to the pickup and he asks for my receipt.....cannot find the dang thing!!!!
Where is it? I still do NOT have a clue! I did get the mower as I could provide other data, but I felt like such an idiot. I had it to use under the data scanner, then 2 minutes, maybe less, did not have it. Good heavens to betsy.... [apologize if anyone's name is Betsy] I do NOT know what I did with it......still don't.

One of my early on symptoms was "losing words". I could give the # of letters, definition, what it started with, but that word was gone. It nearly drove me to a padded room. I still have it, not as often, or am I just used to it?
The first time my current rheumy saw it in action was sort of a lightbulb moment for him. He had heard of it from myself and other patients, but not seen it in action. :shrug::wow::eek:

The joys of lupus are unending. Good thing we all understand here.....otherwise would be packing up for a padded room.
Sally

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I shared some of your comments with my wife who quipped, "The worst thing about your Lupus fog is that it is CONTAGIOUS!"
I get a fog and she gets stupid (she says).
Sure glad we didn't share pregnancy like that.
It is good to know that we Lupies are not...... what's the word? ......
singular.....unique... ah, I got it!..."alone" in the fog business.
Douglas+

·
Registered
152 Posts
dixy;544314 said:
Cheers everyone made me laugh.:lol::rotfl: well its not just us my daughters friend lost her mobile never guess where (In her bra of all places and thats a 20yr old lol:eek:):lol: I think I just keep tuning out at times I can instantly forget something Ive only just been told. :mad:Embarrassing at times lol. :lol:terrible with names a smile usually gets me by ;)Im writing my list of questions for my rheumy next week just hope I remember to take it with me.:rotfl: Find hairbrushes in the freezer. Always losing keys(need a chain) Oh well never a dull moment

dixy
Dude, I'm glad I'm not the only one who loses stuff in their bra.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who loses stuff in their bra
:rotfl:My bra really isn't big enough to lose anything in :bigsmile: :lol:

love
Lily

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi

You are not alone, last night, i was turning the computer off with the tv remote. I ended up getting so upset because i changed the batteries and the computer wouldn't turn off them my poor husband said dear that the remote for the tv. I laughed so much because i couldnt remember, that i needed to press the button for the computer to turn off. :hehe:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
This post and the threads that follow are hysterical.

Lately I tend to forget where I am going or better yet once I get there I do not remember driving half of the trip. It is strange to arrive and not remember most of the trip of familiar sights along the way.

Almost forgot................the phone in the refrigerator too had me thinking I had lost my mind. My husband found it and the look on his face was just priceless.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts