The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not going into details. Someone got into our bank account and bought airline tickets to Bangkok. $3,000 That's a lot of money. Wiped our our liquid funds. The money will come back but it may take two months. Check your accounts all the time. The bank didn't catch a thing, even though we were overdrawing like crazy for four days. Bangkok. Identity theft. ....

Stress like this I don't need right now.

Sunny

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
wow, how awful ! Is the bank liable for this ?

Geesh, this sort of stress you don't need, what an awful thing to happen.

sending big hugs

raglet

·
Registered
300 Posts
Oh Sunny,

So sorry this has happened to you..how violating and frustrating! I think you live in the US? ...You should certainly order copies of your credit reports from the 3 credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and transUnion) to make sure it hasnt effected you in other areas..It is free if you have been the victim of a crime or some type of foul play. You can also put a flag on your account for one year so that if anyone tries to use your name for credit they will be denied until you are contacted first to confirm.

Try not to stress as you know it will affect your health and you dont need that on top of everything else.
Sharon

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sunny I am so sorry this has happened:( . It is absolutely devious and unfair. I hope you get the money back sooner than expected.

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi sunny what a horrid thing to happen it just goes to show how easy it is to get into someone account hope you get it back it soon Elisabeth

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sunny that is absolutely awful young lady.Oh my gosh i am so sorry to hear that but sl glad you will get it back eventually.That is so hard to believe that these banks would let this happen wthout knowing it happened((((hugs)))).I sure hope there is a way to make sure it does not happen again.

Tammy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Sunny,

I agree with the others. What an awful thing to happen. Such things leave us feeling so vulnerable.

I was watching a programme on BBC the other night. Unfortunately identity theft has become increasingly prevalent and leaves people with all sorts of problems. The program made me realise that even though I shred most things because of my work, we aren't nearly careful enough about any personal papers that we put out in our bins.

You also have to watch it on the internet and be very wary of any payment sites that are not https://

Hugs to you,
:hug:
Katharine

·
Administrator
10,183 Posts
Hi Sunny,

It makes you wonder just how they got your account. You aren't even safe swiping your card at the register any more. I hope you don't have too much of a hassle getting this corrected.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
florie
589 Posts
So sorry this has happened to you. I feel the same as the others and hope you won't stress to much.
I have my account red flagged. I have to give a code name to the bank in order to get any information on my account, and withdrawls. Talk to the bank and get some protection on your accounts.
Hope you will be okay and things work out soon for you.

Sending you a hug:hugbetter:
Florie

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sunny,

I am very sorry, someone was so dishonest, and hurt you that way. :( I wish, I could do something, other than say, I am sorry.

Love,
Sandy

·
11,409 Posts
Sunny,

What a terrible mess. Why didn't the bank see that your accounts were going so wild? That alone should of set off a red flagged.

I am sorry this is happening to you. Try not to stress but I know that is not easy at this point.:hug:

Hang in there.

Lyn

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As it turns out, the thing was seven different people broke into seven different bank accounts, all buying airline tickets and travel insurance (!!??) for a trip to Bangkok in late June. How stupid can you be? Of course, the airline has cancelled the tickets, the money will be back sooner or later, and three different fraud agencies are now tracking the idiots who bought the tickets. Although they gave MY NAME to buy the tickets, each one gave their own name to trave. Of course, these days you have to show ID to get your boarding pass and get onto the plane. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Bangkok. That just stuns me. And travel insurance. I'm glad they were looking out for their wellbeing while in aforeign country. :eek::mad:

Anyway, I'm going to be smarter. No more purchases online with a bank card. Only credit cards. And all local purchases will be checks

The whole thing makes me think twice about keeping my money under the mattress.

Sunny

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi sunny

I am also sorry to hear what has happened,it's an utter disgrace! :mad: :mad: I am glad you will get your money back but it's no consolation for all the stress,violation and inconvenience etc that you have been through :sad:

I have heard a few stories lately regarding identity theft & internet fraud,it's very worrying :worried: ...as katharine said it makes you very wary of purchasing on the internet as well as what you throw away with your rubbish!

bug hugs to you sunny :hug:
take care..karen x

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Sunny,

That is terrible. Something similiar happened to my father about two years ago or so. Someone stole the check reader out of a gas station and got his debit card number and wiped him clean.

I don't know why people do this and don't realize that it devastates families. Obviously they don't care. Bangkok. HMPHF!!

Nancy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts