The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had to take my beloved motorcycle to the shop for a repair of the speedometer et al. Fairly important since, having no fuel gauge, I need the odometer to estimate when to fuel up. So I pull into the parking lot, get off, reach into the saddlebag, pull out my collapsible cane and seek some shade. One young mechanic was sitting there as we waited for the shop to open. He looked at the cane and asked if I had been injured. I said that I had SLE, expecting a blank look but instead heard all about his Mother's Lupus and his ex-girlfriend's auto-immune disease.
When I picked up the bike we laughed about my being the only biker in Calgary who uses a cane.:)
Ride/walk/roll safely.
Douglas+

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Douglas, I have wanted a little Vespa scooter forever, but over the past five years I've had balance issues. That means sometimes I have balance and sometimes I don't. :lol: So DH brought me a magazine add not long ago for a kind of scooter that has two front wheels. No more balance problems. Now, if I could only scrape up enough money AND figure out something to do about that darned sun exposure.

Glad to hear that somebody is riding a motorcyle and loving it.

Sunny

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Douglas that is a very good tale ! Biking must give a wonderful sense of freedom and power. And what a coincidence about the mechanic's mother.
Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi Douglas,

I sort of have a simular thing: My aunt only has her left arm to the elbow (she was born that way) and as my cousin works for Harley Davidson, he got her a scooter - can you imagine it - riding a bike with only one arm so to speak???

She's a great inspiration - her moto is 'there's no such word as can't'. She used to be a teaching assistant for disabled kids before retiring and taking a 3 month trip to New Zealand on her own!!

Do you look like 'House'...? ;)

Amanda

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Yep!! I was going to say, you're just trying to get in on this "House" thing!!! riding around with a cane - honestly :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Douglas,
I too ride a motorcycle. But only as a passenger. I love the freedom that comes with riding.,And even if I'm not feeling well, a motorcycle ride cheers me up.

Happy and safe riding!!!! Kate.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I hope you have plenty of time to enjoy your motorcycle this summer:). You could install a "cane rack" like House LOL! I grew up riding mini-bikes,trail bikes. scooters and dirt bikes, I love it! My latest pursuit has been a specially modified skateboard that is made to help improve balance.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
it's weird, I can't walk without either two crutches or a walker, but I can climb trees like a wild woman.

You don't need balance to climb a tree as you hold on with your arms.

It is definitely a strange disease ........

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know there are others who have what my mathematician brother terms a special "kinesthetic aesthetic sense" and love riding but a special thanks to Raglet. This has been a tough day but when I read the note about not being able to walk but able to climb trees like a mad woman I just lost it chortling out loud.:rotfl:
I once told an MD that I could ride even when I could not walk.
She looked confused.
Douglas+

1 - 9 of 9 Posts