The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:worried: I miss working with the kids I used to work with, all the little kids with autism. I was so close to them, especially four of the boys, two didn't talk, one talked if told to, and one talked all the time. Some people feel so frustrated by working with the kids because of the lacking social skills, but I seemed to be in tune with them, when I was little I didn't talk until I was about 4 1/2, or walk until I was about 2, maybe that is why I feel sort of close to them. Plus I spent most of my time alone and feeling very much alienated. Then of course the schedule changed to summer outside and it was impossible for me to help because it was always so hot and the sun was always beating down, :sunny: plus the kids all had helpers unlike when I was helping in the winter time. :snowflake: When I start feeling better I am going to look up the people I know who I volunteered for because I have stayed in contact with one of the behavioral therapists and she always knew how much I loved the kids. A matter of time, A matter of time. Karly

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hi Karley. I must say, I admire those that work with the mentally and physically challenged. It takes so much time and effort but the rewards are great. My cousin has a son with Asperegers Syndrome and I know as a special ed teacher she has a leg up over those that have no training. Those of you out there that have no "specialized" training, make it your life goal to help these children that are trapped inside of themselves.

As a nurse, in my field I never encountered that particular problem. As a new grandmother I am very nervous about some of the speculations abut the causes that are out there today. I realize that there is so much more to learn about this illness. I hope to one day be witness to not only a cure for Lupus but I hope to see one for Autism. I know what it feels like to be an imprisoned adult I cannot imagine being a little child who wants to do so much but cannot. The way I see it, I personally have nothing to gripe about really, just MY opinoin.

Nancy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts