The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

Ok so I have this image of my autoimmune system, and this is what it looks like...

Somewhere in my body is a space age control center run by these little globs with helmets and goggles...they spend all day looking at computer screens and directing soldiers in little space ships (the ships look like bumpy balls).

These little soldiers in their balls...look like slightly taller more muscular versions of the controllers. They wear silver suits and have ray guns...they can walk in space without suits, so they have been adapted to be soldiers.

On any given day the controller may say...'ALERT...ALERT...there is an invader in the kidney are of the subject host' and off shoot a host of the space ships from where ever they were hanging out, fighting their mock battles, or working on the weaponry, or sleeping...what ever they do in their off time.

Once the fighting force arrives at the kidney area, they look about and start attacking...now on some days, they don't need any reinforcements, so they just hang out and fight their battle. Then go home after an undecided amount of time.

On these days, I feel overall YUK. My joints hurt, my muscles hurt, my hands are swollen, you know the usual Lupie stuff.

On other days the controller gets "ALERT...ALERT...there's heavy crossfire and we need more troops and some heavy artillary"...the controller then calls in the reinforcements...more bumpy balls zoom into the kidney area and the controller calles HQ "ALERT...ALERT...Batallion K needs heavy artillary support" so HQ sends out some Larger tube like things that are working on auto-pilot with the order to "ATTACK and DESTROY anything in your way".

When this happens I swell more, get more tired, I run a fever, ache more, and my kidneys start spewing larger amounts of protien and RBCs...now this WAR can continue indefinetely, or if a peacemaking mission (Steroids) are sent to the war zone, the battle can break up sooner and the army...STANDS DOWN...

Sometime, the controller gets so excited (due to the host being stressed, over tired, or exposed to the sun) at this time it decides to send the entire army out at one time..."CALLING ALL SHIPS, CALLING ALL ARTILLARY...INVASION...INVASION...the skin has been penetrated seek and destroy all in your path"

Millions of ships and tubes zoom to my head and neck area, my cheeks, and eyelids break out in a bright red butterfly, my neck and or chest and or arms break out in bright red raised rings where the army is attempting encircle the intruders...and they begin their all out war on the invaders.

While this is happening, a cease fire may be called and all battles, all over the rest of the host subject come to a stand still...when this happens, the fever subsides or lessens, the kedneys filter at a normal rate, the swelling is so much less that I can actually wear my wedding ring, and I seem to have more energy than usual.

This major invasion may last for hours, days or weeks....I never know what the controllers are doing. I do know that I fend off any peace talks for as long as I can, as even though the lupus is busy and doing is share of damage to my body...I feel better than normal, and can actually do "things".

So if I have this right, I have skirmishes, battles and wars occuring whenever my lupus is flaring.

I may have all of them at once at which point I just want to curl up and die...

I may have some but no wars at which point life is bearable and somewhat managable...

I may have them all going on in one place and dependent on what they are attacking Life can either be great or it can stink...

So far, I have not been able to disarm the army, or even come to a full scale peace treaty no matter how many emmisarries they send in to the war zones, but the drs keep trying!

I came to this insight today...I have a rashes on face and neck, and have had this for about two weeks...so now my kidney function has returned from close to dangerously high to high normal...my hands aren't as swollen, and my temp is down below 99 (first time in almost 6 months).

Stephanie

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Steph,

I must say that you are a great writer and teller of stories. I could not have put this into words half as good as you did here. I enjoyed reading your analogy of how the auto immune system works in laymans terms. I think you need to write a book.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

Glad your temperature is down right now and your feeling ok. I hope it continues for a long time.;););)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Awwww Stephanie :hug:

It sounds like you need an awful good negotiator in there doing a far better peace-keeping job...

hugs again,
Katharine

·
11,409 Posts
(((Stephanie)))

To bad we cant declare our bodies as the "peaceful zone."
Then they could go fight their battles far away from us.

Love,
Lyn

·
Administrator
10,184 Posts
It makes sense to me. Your rendition might be a good way to explain what is happening to children.

Time for your warriors to have some leave Stephanie.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...I just was kind-of brain fogging my way through that...its a cross between star-wars and sesame street...lin my head...LOL.

Stephanie

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Love it. When I was little, my dad (a family doctor) used to tell us "blood cell stories" as bedtime stories - what happens when you get a cut for example. The immune system was always the army! Your story reminded me of his, only with a great sci-fi twist. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts