TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Wasn't sure where was appropriate to put this but just wanted to share this with you...

So I have to go to the hospital today for a Barium Swallow test. I've been 'suffering' with indigestion which has now resulted in my being sick every so often when I eat. At first I ignored it, then I mentioned it to both the nurse & dr (each of whom dismissed it as heart burn & indigestion) however on a recent visit to the dr, I mentioned my nan & uncle both had cancer of the oesophagus so now I have to go for this test.

Now you may think 'oh dear, that's awful'? But no, my thought is more along the lines of 'oh, no - worm drink!!!'

Let me explain....

When we were kids, I used to get a bucket of water in the garden and make 'mud pies' which I then used to coax my little brother into eating, assuring him that they were good for him. This lead to the poor mite getting 'worms'. As a result, the whole family had to have treatment which came in the form of a powder that you had to add water to and drink.

This stuff was gross! It used to go all gritty at the bottom of the glass so mum used to add more water and make us drink it until it was gone. It was always 'blackcurrant flavour'. So I've never been able to drink fruit squash except orange as the smell makes me wretch! I have an awful feeling that this test which involves drinking a solution is going to make me do the same!

I'm such a woose but I guess this is what they mean by 'what goes around, comes around'! My brother is going to think this is hilarious.....:(

Amanda

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That gave me a good laugh Amanda :rotfl:

I don't know if it's better or worse but when my little brother was outside in his pram, I thought he'd be bored and used to put ticks in his pram to play with!! I'd say that that might be worse actually knowing what I now know about lymes disease. Sounds pretty awful doesn't it so let's bear in mind that I was like a maximum age of two at the time. Though some would say I'm just as nasty now.

Anyway, I hope your test goes OK. It can't be a very pleasant prospect.

Katharine

·
Registered
391 Posts
Amanda,
That was so great!:rotfl: Boy that sure brought back memories! I was the oldest of four children, and responsible for babysitting as well as all the household chores. To keep my little brothers out of trouble so I could get my work done I'd tie them both to a tree (they were like 3 & 5) in the front yard. Never left them that way for long, maybe an hour or two. But it never failed some busy body would always call local law enforcement (uncle was a deputy) and that person would be informed it was very temporary and part of a "family ritual" to keep the boys safe! :rotfl: After awhile neighbors would tell company the story and I was granted many compliments on my ingenuity. Hope your drink wasn't too awful.

Hugs,
Michelle

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Oh gosh... this reminds me of our family story. My brother came home from college with head lice. My mom noticed them on him while he was laying down watching TV so she started picking though his hair to make sure. Then I started picking through my mom's hair since he had been home for a few days... then my Dad started picking through my hair. There we all were... 2 days before Christmas... picking through each other's hair loooking for lice like a bunch of apes! Even at the moment I found it hilarious as started cracking up.

We dutifully went down to the drugstore and all did the lice hair wash just to be safe and washed all the linens and clothes so it was quite a busy Christmas Eve!

On a serious note... the barium swallow test may be pretty easy to get through for you. I had that done and I found it pretty easy except the thicker textured thing they had me swallow (thicker than thick peanut butter on a saltine cracker). I have a pretty sensitive taste buds and have quite an easy gag reflex and I was nervous about the test because of that (especially when they had me change into a gown "just in case"). *lol*
But I managed just fine and I hope you will too. I later had the upper endoscopy done as they found some slightly abnormal things with the swallow test & symptoms continued...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
All your stories are funny-I was the youngest of four, so I had all that stuff done to me:(

Amanda, I just had this done and the new drink is of regular texture. It is not thick and chalky,yet it is still nasty fruit tasting-I just chugged and plugged my nose:lol: Not to be gross, but your bm's will be abnormal in color for a couple of days:eek:

Good Luck,
Becca

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

So I made it through the test - it really wasn't a 'pleasant' experience, particularly as they tipped me slightly upside-down once I'd drank the whole cup full (it was very thick & chalky, obviously not the new stuff acard had!) To make matters worse, there I was all pleased at finishing it when he came back with more!!!! That time I really did gag :(

Glad I could jog some memories for you all - I'm 1 of 9: 5 older sisters (1 step) & 1 older borther (step) & 2 younger brothers (Half each!). As I come in quite late down the list and also have older cousins that lived nearby, I was always being teased, having Judo moves practised on me, etc so when the 2 younger boys came along it only seemed fair to pass it all on - it's character building as my mum would say!

Actually, the mud pie thing wasn't the worst thing I did to my poor brother Dan - he had his ears pinned back at the age of 6 and one day during a fight (his head was still bandaged up) I slammed my bedroom door shut and it caught his head between the wall and the door!!!! Thankfully he's fine - he's alot taller than me with a wicked sense of humour (See - character building!)

My sister Nicki also had a few 'incidents'. Like the time she was annoying the older girls trying to play tag and when they wouldn't respond, she stropped off downstairs. Unfortunatley she lost her footing and fell although this wasn't the story Dad got told - she told him our sister Jacky had pushed her - can you believe it?!

I have many stories about my family - each member has their own little ways which always make me giggle: Aunty Brenda was born with her left arm only to the elbow and is a very strong woman but she married a man that it now turns out is a transvestite.

And on that thought I'll leave you for the moment! :rotfl:

Amanda

1 - 6 of 6 Posts