TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very sore throat and i can see what looks like an ulcer at the back:( Does anyone else get these ? Are they Lupus related ?
I had the same thing a couple of months ago but didnt go to see my GP.

Thank you in advance:)

Lov Sarah x

·
Registered
521 Posts
I used to get those as a teen, and my mother would tell me to gargle with hot salt water a couple times a day as warm as you can stand it, until the ulcer is gone.
Believe it our not it would worked.

I hope you will get better Sarah,

Take care

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I've had them too, and managed to show my rheumy once. He concurred that it was lupus related - just a variety of the top of the mouth ulcers....

Do get it checked out if it persists though, incase you have an infection in the 'wound'.

Hope you feel beter soon,

X C X

·
Registered
150 Posts
HI Sarah :)

I feel like I'm following you about. I'm ruby100 btw!!! :rotfl:

I had one of these a while ago, just before my 2nd to last flare up. It was really sore and I didn't know what it was until my Dad got his massive torch out and looked down my throat and declared, sure enough there was large ulcer there.

Mouth ulcers are CERTAINLY a symptom of active lupus. 'Any mouth ulcers?' is always one of the main questions a medic should ask to establish whether there is any active lupus symptoms. As the others have said, ulcers can (albeit, quite rarely) get infected.

I do hope you feel better soon

love Cathy x

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Sadie, Cath and Cathy for your replies :)
Cathy lol about the torch..thats what i did this morning ! Off to bed now !
lov Sarah xx

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I have had so many mouth ulcers overr the years with and without a sore throat! My Immunologist says mine are definately due to SLE!

Even without a sore throat I always had I a high temperature of 99.5-103F!

Before the SLE diagnoses I was always told that they were viral but never was it suggested that I get a biopsy of them!:eek: My GP that I see now says that I should have had a biopsy long ago on them as they re-occurred so frequently (but then there are always the jobs worth GP that you see with an emergency appointment!!:eek:).

Hope you feel more refreshed tomorrow!

Lesley

·
Registered
10 Posts
The sores in the throat are not as painful as the ones I get in the mouth. But I do get referred ear pain.
good luck, hope they heal quickly

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All, Just thought that i would update you...my throat ulcer has turned out to be tonsilitis instead. I have been to the doctors this morning and he has given me penicillin V to take 4 x day. He said that because of my present conditions he would rather play safe...
I must say i feel so ill, i cant remember tonsilitis being so bad !

Lov sarah x

·
Registered
55 Posts
HI

Hi Sarah,

I too have a throat infection at the mo, which has caused mouth ulcers!
Keep drinking plenty of warm drinks, take painkillers, and rest!

I hope you feel better soon.
Beci
x

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Normally the sign of tonsilitus is spiking temps (especially at night) alongside the spotty white tonsil area!

For the last few years when my youngest had tonsilitus (always diagnosed by GP). At same time I always had extrememly red throat and ulcers but when seeing a GP they just said viral - even though under torch light both our throats looked the same!!

The only thing that differed with us that Nathans temperature would be 103F and mine only 100F.

All this dianoses stuff is so confusing as different GP give different conclusions!

I hope the antibiotics have started to kick in and you feel better very soon!

Hugs!

Lesley

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are sores on the tongue included? I had a whole bunch of them while I was in the hospital and the Dr. gave me a rinse to use. I have one left on the end of my tongue that I can't seem to get rid of.

I had a throat ulcer once years ago, but it was infected. I was sooo sick with that and they do really hurt. Almost impossible to eat.

Hope your tonsilitis goes away soon Sarah.

Nutty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts