The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had thrombocytopenia? I had it and my blood work came back normal. I'm just curious if anybody has had this and had normal bloodwork at the time?

Thanks
Mindy:)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Mindy,

What do you mean by normal blood work? Are you talking about antibodies?

If you have thrombocytopaenia then by definition you have low platelets, so your blood work is not normal.

On the other hand it is quite possible to have low platelets and other tests be normal, such as a negative ANA or a normal liver function test.

I've had thrombocytopaenia (mild) several times, sometimes as my only dodgy blood test resutl, sometimes in combination with several other abnormalities.

All the best,

X C X

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm

How big of an area did it cover? Mine as on my thigh and it was about 3-4 inches long. That was it. Dr called it thrombocytopaenia. He had me do bloodwork for ANA and DNA & I'm not sure what else. 1 week after that I had more bloodwork done w/blood count and all was good.

Well I'm going to see Rhuemy...hopefully my referral will go through. I will ask for more bloodwork.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
To repeat what Cath said, thrombocytopenia means having low platelet levels so by definition there has to be abnormal blood work. Typical symptoms might be

"Signs and symptoms of a low blood platelet count may include:
  • Easy or excessive bruising
  • Superficial bleeding into the skin that appears as a rash of pinpoint-sized reddish-purple spots (petechiae), usually on the lower legs
  • Prolonged bleeding from cuts
  • Spontaneous bleeding from your gums or nose
  • Blood in urine or stools
  • Unusually heavy menstrual flows
  • Profuse bleeding during surgery
Serious or widespread bleeding indicates an emergency and requires immediate care."

( Mayo clinic site )

Some people have low platelets,that is thromobocytopenia, and have no symptoms. There are several possible reasons for low platelet levels. I am fairly sure there might be short lived reasons for them being low at a particular time

There are three relevant terms referring to associated marks on the skin;
Petechiae, purpura and ecchymoses depending on size.
Petechiae is pinpoints under 2mm diameter, purpura are 2-10mms and ecchymoses are over 10mm

Of course there are non thrombocytopenic petechia etc. such as petechia caused by scratching and damaging the tiny blood vessels and other injuries. And many other possible causes

You can expect to have full blood tests done when you see the rheumatologist. If you have to ask for them, leave and don't pay the bill !

You can note any marks on your symptoms list without knowing exactly what it's called.The crux of a doctor's job and of diagnosis is to determine if anything unusual is significant.

There's a limit to the amount of medical information we can have or even need to have at any particular stage of our journey. Being well informed is important for several reasons but it is very easy to put a lot of time energy and worry into what isn't necessary to know to make the best of medical appointments and there's a fine line between gathering useful information and trying to diagnose yourself.

Keep notes of times and duration and appearance of visible symptoms. :)

Take care and please don't sit for hours on end at the PC. It can do more harm than good causing information overload and is very unhealthy. Find something enjoyable and relaxing to do, promise?

Clare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts