The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginnig to question my thrombocytopenia dx w/my dr a month or 2 ago. But I have a quesiton.

My internal rash (so to speak) was about 3-4 inches long. You could press your fingers on it and it did not disperse....or turn white or spread apart (sorry I dont know how to discribe). When I go online to look at pics it shows everything wide spread. So I'm confused.

Could somebody tell me the difference between the 3. Can it just happen in a 3-4 inch span and not be widespread?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
As has been said in other responses you can't have a thrombocytopenia diagnosis unless platelet levels are low. There are non thrombocytopenic causes for petechiae etc
Petechiae are defined as pinpoints < 2mm in diameter, purpura 2-10mms and ecchymoses >10 mm. By the way 10cms is about 4 inches so there's 25 mms per inch. They apparently often occur together sort of clustered and can cover a widespread area, judging from the photos.

I suppose an ecchymosis could be as large as 3-4 inches. It is the medical term for a bruise.

I had a neighbour who went for a check up. He observed a large bruise on her arm about 2"x4" that she hadn't taken much notice of. However blood tests showed it was a symptom of rather serious thrombocytopenia.

Non- blanching is the term for the staying the same when pressed and maybe subcutaneous is the correct term for under the skin ,and flat or not raised, by 'internal'.

All as far as I know

:)

Clare

PS I am not writing these words again for at least another week: thrombocytopenia, which I keep typo-ing with an S instead of the A, petechiae or ecchymosis :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi,

I am Sarah's mom that has Lupus. I have reoccuring Thrombocytopenia purpura, its a bit different than thrombocytopenia, which means low platelet counts.

I have had this 5 times. I get a fever, feel like I am getting the flu then the pain starts I start to vomit, then I am uninating blood. My organs start to hemorrage.

When this happens it is my platelets dropping rapidly then they get sticky and clump and my red blood cells start to fragment. T.T.P is quite serious has I start to go into organ failure quite quickly. I was on diayalis the first time, but it was diagnosed quicker the other times and I completely recovered thanks to plasma-pheuresis. I don't show the familiar rash or other classic symptoms.

Not sure if that was even a answer to your question, but though I would share.

Sharon, mother of Sarah with Lupus

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thrombocytopenia- low platelet count
peteichaie- pin point hemmorages, usually under the skin, but can be anywhere really... (like your eyes!)
purpura- bruises

Before being Dx w/ Lupus, I got Dx w/ ITP... I went into the ER looking like someone beat the heck out of me... lol

My eyes were bleeding, my nose was bleeding non stop, I had bruises anywhere anyone touched me, and my petichiae were so severe, the head nurse asked me if I minded her students come in and looked at me because they've never seen anyone with so much ALL OVER before! (Yeah... not fun being touched and proded by 2 dozen or so people...feeling like youre an exotic specimen of some sort.... lol).

My platelet count was 4K, and they ended up cauterizing my nose (DEFINITELY not fun!!!! This means getting all my blood vessles in my nose burnt shut!!)... then my eyes were bleeding so bad, at 3am my nurse in the hospital had to call my doctor to make sure she knew my eyes were bleeding....

For me, yes, it could be 3-4" long and not be wide spread..but not treated and if my spleen is enlarged and I'm flaring, it will get worst without drugs.

My severe ITP is the main reason why I wasn't Dx w/ Lupus sooner: I was on such high dosage of steroids to prevent me from bleeding to death, that it masked all my other symptoms.

Good news is that my ITP is finally under control after what? Seven years? (Five months and counting off of prednisone!!! FINALLY!!!) It's being held steady at about 230K, which is absolutely a MIRACLE. But nonetheless, with my history, I still have to keep an eye on those pesky little red polka dots (Seriously....at my worst, I look like some little kid got a hold of a red marker and drew little dots all over me!) and have to see my hematologist every 2-3 months for a check up and a labwork.

Is your doctor a hematologist by chance?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts