TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've not posted on here for a while as not been too bad lately. Until last weekend when I had a sudden stabbing pain in my right temple. Sine then I have had terrible tingley fingers, feet and head as if my hair is standing on end. I am so so tired and have got terrible brain fog. I keep crying as this episode has knocked me for six. I had a bad cold and cough a couple of weeks ago and dont know if this is at all related. I also feel very dizzy and wobbly. My next appointment at St Thomas's isn't till April and my dr is not the most understanding of Lupus. Can anyone help me understand whats happening to me as I feel so worried. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Angie

You really must see your doctor about this urgently. The sudden stabbing pain followed immediately with those tingly sensations, confusion and dizziness you describe sounds worrying to me :worried: I dont want to frighten you but one of the possibilities could be a mild stroke and if thats the case you really need to get checked out as quickly as possible.

I know your GP is not the most understanding but even he will have to be concerned by this episode and ongoing symptoms since then.

Please let us know how you get on

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello angie,

I would agree that the seemingly direct correlation between that stabbing pain and then the symptoms that follow would push me to seek medical advice on this one. It was obviously no "ordinary headache".

Katharine

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Angie

I have awful brain fog, which is the most frustrating part of this disease for me, closely followed by the fatigue.

However, as the others have said you must check the other symptoms with your doctor. Some doctors have this wonderful way of making us feel as if we inconveniencing them, but just ignore them! Can you go and see another doctor if you aren't happy with the one you have? Let us know how you get on. (((Hugs)))

Lupo30 xx

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hello Angie

I just wanted to add another voice to the throng advising you to go to the doctor re. your new symptoms. I have no idea what it might be, but it should be checked out because it is not normal for you and your low mood may be associated.

It could be relatively straight forward too and that would really help put your mind at rest.

I wondered if you ever experienced migraines in the past?

I ask because I had them as a teenagaer, but they later reduced in frequency only to return very differently years down the line.

I was sent to a neurologist to check out frequent headaches (I did not call them migraines because they did not resemble my migraines from the past), pins and needles in my fingers, 'fuddled' thinking and a range of other bits and bobs before being diagnosed with a couple of autoimmune disorders including Antiphospholipid Syndrome and SLE.

Now the neurologist found nothing wrong (physically!) with my brain (he was trying to rule out MS, and did so) but put the headaches and pins and needles down to migraine.

I did have a few visual disturbances too - but before, rather than during headaches, so I did not think they were related. I did sometimes feel dizzy and wobbly too.

I was put on some very mild medication which give me no side-effects, and sure enough, the symptoms more or less disappeared. Instead of headaches several times a week I now get them once in a blue moon.

It turned out the pins and needles and any visual ditrubances I had preceded the actual migraine. In my case it was an 'aura' - like a warning you're about to get a migraine. Some people even experience odd smells before a migraine.

On some ocassions I did not even get a headache, just pins and needles and 'shimmering vision' ( like when the air shimmers when heat rises off a red hot road - most noticable when i was looking at a plain background like a pale painted wall) but these sympotms still cleared after migraine treatment.

I secretly though he was a bit nuts when he said my pins and needles were linked to migraine - especailly since i did not always get a headache at the same time, so I did a bit of reading up and it all fell into place.

Probably completely irrelevant, but sometimes it can be reassuring to know there are some pretty straight-forward and easy to address answers that have not occured to us.

Anyway, you really should get yourself checked out because it sounds like it is making you very miserable.

I hope you get some good answers soon.

PS I also have Hughes / Antiphospholipid syndrome on which I blame my migraines, fuzziness / dizziness. Have you been screened for this?

Take care.

Hoping you get some respite soon.

:love:

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
angie,
You need to see a doctor whether it be a lupus or gp doctor. If you can't get into one of them go to an emergancy room and be seen. You have something going on and it does not sound normal for a cold or a cough. It might be lupus related but I would have no way of knowing that only a doctor can find that out. Please let us know what they find out and I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Angie,
I am going to cast my opinion with those who insist on a doctor visit, sooner than later. If the doctor you are seeing is not very sle knowledgable, then have him call the rheumy and discuss it. It does not sound like this is to be taken lightly.
Good luck,
Sally

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi everyone
I went to mr dr this morning. He says I have a severe sinus infection with neuralgia due to dryness caused by Sjrogrens. He said that my pins and needles are due to anxiety. He has given me anti biotics and a steroid spray. So hopefully this might do the trick. I cried when I saw the Dr but he really did not seemed bothered by my distress at all. I take plaquentil and setraline daily and I think the Dr just see's me as another nutcase patient. XXXXX

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Hi Angie

I hope that you feel better soon. I am sure that the doctor doesn't see you as a nutcase. Sometimes they dont understand how distressing our symptoms can be. Let us know how you get on.

Deb

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Angie :)

I'm so glad my GP doesn't think that when I'm that distressed. The last time it happened he ordered me to lie down and wait till I felt better despite a waiting room full of people and one emergency :lol: He's a gem that man.

Anyway, back to subject. I hope that this does clear up for you and that it is "only" due to a sinus infection. However, I would still like to strongly advise that if this doesn't clear up quickly and if such a stabbing pain came again, please don't ignore it and write it off to one doc's opinion. Such things should always be checked out.

hugs and hope you feel better soon,
:hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Do you know I am sorry Angie.

I have sjogrens too and have had sinusitis as a result with the rotten headaches. Should have thought!

It is indeed very different to migraines.

As time goes on, if it continues, and you are not convinced about the cause of the pins and needles, there would be nothing to stop you asking to see a neurologist for a second opinion.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

All the best.

:love:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts