TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hi Guy's, it's just me, needing more info. I have sjrogrens, as well as lupus, fibro and a whole bag of stuff.
I have never had dandruff or anything like it. But about
almost a year ago, my head began to be itchey, but not often. Well now it is all the time and it can be quite embarassing sometimes in public. I am putting it do Lupus
and the sjrogrens. Does anyone else have this problem of scratching and gauging at your head all the time, its not dandruff. If anyone has this, what do you do, or use, or
anything, what can help it. I hope that you all are feeling fine today. Thanks for listening to me, I will appreciate any and all ideas.:sad::worried::(

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'm not sure, but you may want to try switching shampoos/conditioners to something designed to be extra gentle. It could be an allergy to your hairproducts. Have you asked your hair stylist if anything looks abnormal about your scalp (or doctor)?

One other idea would be to wash your hair less often - twice a week. This allows your natural oils to nourish your scalp and hair and is actually healthier for your hair. You could try avoiding any hair blowing or styling product too and see if that helps.

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi Haflpinfl

I agree with Maia, I got very dry scalp with sore itchy patches and have swapped to using only products that the health food shop that are free from most of the nasty perfumes and chemicals. The Jason range is good - they are American products I think.

And don't use any styling products or hair dyes. They can cause a build up on your scalp

I also rinse very carefully using the shower, for much longer than normal. Try not to rub any conditioner into your scalp just into your hair if you use it. Or get a product that is hypo-allergenic. In the UK the "Simple" range is good.

Taking a gentle anti-histamine can help too. My head itches more in the hay fever season when I forget the anti-histamine.

And keeping cool, heating up your scalp will make it worse.

Short hair is good too I think.

Hope this helps
Sara

·
Registered
646 Posts
Halfpint, you got to post this thread just before me...

I have been having the same problem for the last month or so.

Have an incredibly itchy, flaky scalp. Especially on the back of the head, and around the back neckline.

At times I actually manage to pull scabs off the scalp :(

At first I thought it was my eczema playing up. But now I'm thinking maybe its the Lupus due to the very sunny and hot weather we've been having here in the UK.

I've tried switching shampoos. At first tried head and shoulders as I thought it may have been dandruff. When this didnt work I tried tGel. Then I went to using baby shampoo. Alas, none of this worked.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey halfpint

I used to have a Heck of a problem with itchy flaky scalp and it is very embarrassing.

My hairdresser gave me Redkin Retaliate (used to be call solve) to get on top of the problem and it worked really well for me. It is that bit more expensive but it solved my problem. Now I use something a bit cheeper but it has kept on top of things now.

Don't know if this helps you but I hope you find a solution that works for you soon.

Claire

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've often had this problem. My strategy is this:
1. use really basic shampoos - often the cheapest ones available. This is because the cheap ones usually have the most basic and simple ingredients - the expensive ones usually have a load of special ingredients any of which could be causing you problems.
2. switch shampoos regularly. I worked out that the longer I stayed using the one brand the more likely I was to have scalp problems
3. cut back to once a week shampoo. Once your hair gets used to this (a couple of weeks), it won't get greasy any quicker than it used to, and probably less so. Half the problem of greasy hair is that when you do daily shampoos you are massaging your scalp so much it promotes oil production, which makes your hair greasy quicker.
4. If you want to wash your hair in between shampoos, just give it a fairly quick warm water wash - don't massage too much. This will make your hair feel a bit fresher, especially if you are living or working in an area with lots of airborne dust and dirt or smoke.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Haldpintfl

Sorry that the itchy scalp is so bad. I have itchy scalp moreso when I'm having a flare, don't know how you are doing right now but perhaps it could be that or any number of things. My hair falls out really badly during a flare too. I have recently been prescribed doxepin, an antidepressant, and helps with muscle pain, in doing searches on the internet, many have said that it has helped them very much with their itchy problems. Also benadryl, but you could ask your Dr. about trying something like that for the itch, I know it is miserable as well as imbarressing in public.:sad:

I hope you find something to help soon!

annada

1 - 7 of 7 Posts