TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm having problems with my skin / membranes at the moment.

• the surface of the roof of my mouth feels like it is peeling - no pain, no ulcers or other visible signs - but bits of skin rub off in my mouth.
  • patches of very fragile skin on my face - just washing my face with water I'll find that a centimetre square patch of skin has come away leaving a raw "sticky" surface which stings.

I've put Sudocreme (zinc protective cream) on the skin patch. While it has not got any worse it does not seem to be healing. I suppose I need it to crust before it will. :(

I've not been in the sun. I have never taken steroids, only plaquenil [300mg]. Are any of these symptoms recognizable to anyone.

Thanks

Merle

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Merle

I dont know what to suggest about the roof of the mouth peeling, except try rinsing it with a salt or hydrogen peroxide water solution. Could it be some sort of thrush?

I used to get skin coming off my face in small patches leaving a raw patch but preceded by a small very itchy sore area like a sort of blister as if the top skin was separated from the underneath part with a small amount of clear fluid between them. I especially got them before periods when all my symptoms were far worse.
I have scle and my doc told me this is an unsual blistering manifestation of it, so lucky me, I had all three sorts of scle lesions. I found tea tree oil wonderful for healing those raw patches fast, or any other small skin sores.

Try a small test patch first just in case you are one of the few people who does react badly to it. Otherwise it and lavender oil are the only essential oils that can be used neat, from what I have read. Lavender oil is supposed to be good for healing and skin soothing too. It sure smells better :)

Good Luck
Clare

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Clare

Thanks very much for this.

Interesting you mention thrush. I have vaginal thrush that I can't get rid of. In the past three weeks, I've tried both the Canestan pill and cream combo and the pessary and cream combo. I assumed that this was a consequence of my low WBC or plaquenil's ability to change the pH of cells.

Do you or anyone else know whether thrush is common in people with lupus.

Thanks

Merle

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Merle,

I get thrush infections if I have to take antibiotics. Have you had them recently, it seemed once it got hold of me from antibios it was hard to shift. I had to take probiotics a lot and they helped.

Prior to be treated properly for Lupus I got a lot of thrush infections, mouth, vaginal, intestines and rectum :eek: just about anywhere you get them. I hear Sjogrens patients (and I have that also) are more prone to them.

Have they given you the once only dose of oral med for the thrush, is that what you meant by pill? With vaginal infections sometimes partners need to be treated too, it's so easily passed back to you.

love
Lily

1 - 4 of 4 Posts