TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well i spent 2 hrs. at the dentist today getting my mouth splint adjusted. Opening and closing my mouth. My bite is so far off the splint is designed for my jaw to find a comfortable position . I go back next week for a adjustment on it, very time consuming but will be well worth it. With time it will ease the pain in my neck and the pinched nerve. Once the jaw is in it's final position then the appliance will not have to be adjusted. I can't wait till this happens because i am suffering so much from this TMJ. I sleep with it and wear it in the house. It will also prevent me from grinding my teeth while i sleep. It is a clear appliance that covers your upper teeth, makes you sound retared when you talk with it on :lol: :lol:.

Once i am close to getting my teeth back in line then i will go for some dental work. I have a couple of fillings that are worn from the grinding. Otherwise my dentist says my teeth are in pretty good shape. I thought with all the preds and dry mouth i would hear differently,but at least i have some good news.
florie

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi Florie:

I had TMJ when I was in my 20's, long before my Lupus DX. It was so very bad that I finally had the surgery and had the joint re-aligned, and the padding replaced with teflon. They started with the left side (it was the worst) and after they did it and it was healed they found that they did not need to do the right side at all.

I haven't had a moment of problems since then.

Back in those days they did not have the appliance, treatment was valiums and electric shock to reduce the tension in the muscles. When that didn't work they operated. The way they do it now is much better.

I hope it continues to improve for you.

Stephanie

·
Registered
467 Posts
hi florie

i don't have tmj persay but i did break my jar about 30yrs ago. i actually snapped off the condial which is the joint at the end of your jaw bone that conects to the skull. so i grind the bone there. its quite painful at times. i can't open my mouth very wide, my face is alittle askewed and my bite has several different postions, my dentist just loves me :lol:. bite guards haven't helped much, at one point thought about having surgery for a bone graft but thought better of it. so usually when it flares up i just double my muscle relaxers. and i rarely eat anything that requires alot of chewing.

good luck with the stint
hugs and kisses

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Florie,
I am really glad you are finally getting somewhere with this and I really hope that the treatment although not the most comfortable I'm sure will begin to give some relief.

Lots of luck with it.

Take Care

Cassie :)

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
florie,
This is good news as you could us some. I hope things go well for you and that it is all over soon for you. Let us know how the adjustments are going and do post a picture of you new pretty smile lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
florie;536703 said:
Hi all,

Well i spent 2 hrs. at the dentist today getting my mouth splint adjusted. Opening and closing my mouth. My bite is so far off the splint is designed for my jaw to find a comfortable position . I go back next week for a adjustment on it, very time consuming but will be well worth it. With time it will ease the pain in my neck and the pinched nerve. Once the jaw is in it's final position then the appliance will not have to be adjusted. I can't wait till this happens because i am suffering so much from this TMJ. I sleep with it and wear it in the house. It will also prevent me from grinding my teeth while i sleep. It is a clear appliance that covers your upper teeth, makes you sound retared when you talk with it on :lol: :lol:.

Once i am close to getting my teeth back in line then i will go for some dental work. I have a couple of fillings that are worn from the grinding. Otherwise my dentist says my teeth are in pretty good shape. I thought with all the preds and dry mouth i would hear differently,but at least i have some good news.
florie
Out side of the splint, have you ever tried a mouth guard? I used a mouth guard and my pain was reduced tremendeously. I swear by my mouth guard. I have been cured LOL!

*** Chase

1 - 6 of 6 Posts