TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have been having back pain for about a week now that had been managed by extra doses of Ultram. I was out with my girl Dorrie shopping for about an hour when it hit me so hard yet again. I took my pain med and prayed hard that it would take care of it. I finally had to tell her I had to go home and rest as it was not helping much at all.

I went to bed right after I took my snack of meds. I woke up at 430am this morning so I could do my short shift this morning. While I was in bed it was not too bad but when I tried to get up it hurt so into the nice hot shower I went thinking ok it is a muscle. I made it to work did 2 hours and could not handle it any more. As soon as someone came in that could take the desk off to the emergancy room I went.

They took me right in no waiting this time. The nurse asked me to get undressed and lay on the bed. I had a horrible time getting my upper clothes off. I did manage to do it though. I sat on the side of the bed and she said now lay down, I looked at her and said ah I don't think I can do that. I was right trying to get my legs up had me screaming in pain. Before I know it I was getting an IV started and vitials being taken.

The doctor came in and started pushing on my back only to be begged to stop that it hurt too much. He order morphen in the IV along with an imflamatory med. Next was xrays. They tried to lay me down on the table but I lost my breath. It felt like I just could not get any air in my lungs at all. When I opened my eyes I had 4 nurses, oxygen on, and the er doctor in there. After all this they got the xrays finally.

Doctor came in and said that the pain is due to bone spurs up and down my spine. I also have them in my shoulder, elbows, and hip. He is not sure why I could not breath in xray. He gave me meds and called my daughter to pick me up. He also said I was high risk for any surgery so it is a matter of pain management. This is killing me as everytime I move I have pain now. I just thought I would give you the latest on me.

I hope you all are doing well and feeling well.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Tammy, What an awful experience and very disappointing to be stuck with yet more ongoing problems. Wish I could make it better for you.
x Lola

·
Registered
203 Posts
hi tammy

sorry to hear your in so much pain its no joke back pain it affects all your body hope your meds kick in soon and gives you a bit of releive keep your chin up

donna

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Tammy,

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I hope the medication will make it bearable for you.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
(((((Tammy)))))

You never seem to catch a break and for this I am so sorry that your dealing with another mountain to climb. Bone spurs are terribly painful and most of the time removed surgically if they cause too much of a interruption in life.

I think pain management is a good idea but a temporary fix. What are you going to do about these spurs??? I think maybe you need to chat with your GP and let him refer you to someone who can help you.

Good luck and let us know how your doing please. Rest, relax and take the pain meds before the pain gets too bad so that you keep ahead of the game.

Gently Hugs to you my friend.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
11,405 Posts
((((Tammy))))
Sorry to read that you had to go to the ER.:( Back pain is the pits.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Dear Tammy,

I am so sorry, to know you have had such a terribly painful experience lately.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Oh dear Tammy :(

That sounds excruciatingly painful. I really hope that that pain meds work quickly.

Have you had this before and did you know about the bone spurs? I have no idea what can be done about this but I wouldn't rely solely on the ER docs opinion that pain meds are the best option. I'd agree that getting a second opinion from an expert on this might be a wise idea.

Hoping that pain calms quickly,
Katharine

·
Registered
631 Posts
(((Tammy)))

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I hope the pain meds kick in very soon and that they can get these bone spurs sorted.

Get lots and lots of rest and take good care of yourself.

Hugs
Elle x

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Tammy,

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. Please try and get lots of rest (easier said that done) but please look after yourself.

Sending gentle hugs and kisses

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi to Everyone,
Thank you for the hugs and support. Katharine I have back pain since I was 14 years old. I had a car accident and well that started it all. I also have wonderful back labor with both the kids lol. I had never had pain like this before though, and that is when I decided to go to the er. I have no idea that I had spurs in my spine. He did show them to me on the xray and my spine looks like a porupine has moved in.

I am sorry for me too as this might be the one to put me out of work now. The meds lesson the pain but don't take it away. I am going to get a hold of my gp and see what she has to say about the whole thing. Karol you are right with me this is good luck bad luck would be that I am not here any more. I think you all have heard this, I am the one that gets the instant scratch tickets and instead of just loosing I owe them money lol.

I have a high pain level as I have been in pain most of my life. The doctor was surprised that it had not brought me to him before this. Well I started back on those darn muscle relaxers at night as they just will not work during the day, I have to go to work still. I have not been able to talk to my boss yet as her husband went to get away from a dog yesterday and fell and broke his hand in 4 places so she is off till you guessed it tuesday.

I am handling it as I have no other choice but to handle it. Again thank you all for your concern. I hope that all of you are doing well and feeling well.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Tammy, very sorry for this latest hurdle. Mercy......and it is a holiday weekend too!

I would go for a 2nd opinion too. Is there any way that they can be reduced without surgery?

I have bone spurs and they are here to stay - so says rheumy. Fortunately, the neuropathy in my legs, feet and hands helps to reduce the pain. I guess it is one way to appreciate the neuropathy. But, the days I fall often because I can't feel my feet are not appreciated. [if I go down more than once, I am using my cane and/or staying in the house where the ground is more level]

Good luck.
Sally

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sally,
I have not been to the gp yet for this as it is a holiday weekend and well they need a break too. I am looking for any relief that does not have surgery in the sentence. It is good that you know your limits and do what is best for you. I am still just taking one day at a time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts