The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello Friends,

I went to my M.D. yesterday to get my yearly flu shot. Got there, only for him to tell me..I am too immune suppressed to receive a flu shot. He also..told
me there are not enough H1N1 swine flu shots to go around..

I understood him to mean..I will not be getting a swine flu shot either. Am I wrong..in thinking the shots are specifically for those of us that are more vulnerable to the flu?

I am taking 2000 mgs of Cellcept, plus 10 mgs of Prednisone and 400 mgs of Plaquenil.

My husband thinks he is afraid I will have a bad reaction to the flu shot and is covering his backside.

Have any of you been told that your too immune suppressed to recieve a flu shot?

His logic doesn't make any sense to me.

I hope your all having a pain free day!

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Sandy,

You are quite right in that the flu shot is required precisely because you are immuno-suppressed!!

The same goes for H1N1 recommendations. I don't see how your GP knows how much of it there will be available as it hasn't even come out yet. Also, you are a priority for getting it before certain other groups of people.

I think hubby has a point here.

Katharine

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
hi that doesnt soudn right
im also immune supressed due to being on methotrexate i get letter and am 1 of 1st batch patients to be given my flu jab.
havnt got letter yet but eben lot postal strikes here.
hope it resolved my gp put me forward for it as worried and ddint want me getting flu as id had few ifnections sicne on mtx.
and thats being as pick things up easier than others depsite good hygine.
lv countylass

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Sandy,

I wonder if he meant it might not be effective in you because you are so immune suppressed? I've read that in some cases they are next to useless because they don't provoke an immune response (i.e. making antibodies to the strain of flue) like they would in someone else. Just a thought............does sound strange though because the majority of others around here get them. (I don't though because of a severe egg white allergy - they would do me more harm than good).

love
Lily

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Just an afterthought..................I think I'd take more notice of what my Rheumy said rather than your family doc...........if that's who you saw?

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone,

Thank you, for all your responses. You gave me some food for thought. :)

Love,
Sandy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.