TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

About 2 weeks ago, I was having bad lower back pain and chest pain. I went to the doc and the PA gave me anti-inflammatories and said the chest pain is either acid reflux or costochondritis. She also gave me prevacid because if it was acid reflux is would get worse with the meds. So, I took the meds and didn't need the prevacid. I went back for a follow-up Monday and I was feeling great, no more pain, so she said it was just inflammation and that I might try doing a few pushups to build up muscle in my chest to try and help prevent it in the future. This week, my incision from my surgery in February is giving me trouble. I am feeling sort of a numbness or something and I notice it more when I stand up from sitting at my desk. I also am getting my chest pain back, have a mouth sore and my eyes are really sore.

I am blaming it all on stress because I am under a lot of it. I have so much work to do and it keeps piling up that I don't even know where to begin. Right now, I have 77 emails to reply to, I have my daily work, plus a scanning project consisting of 100 file cabinet drawers that need to be put into order, entered into the database and then a summer worker is scanning the files, work with the database consultant, and now train people from China.

My assistant is just spending all day on the internet. I mentioned it in her review, then yesterday I had to go up to her and tell her that she needed to start working and it is like she doesn't care what I tell her. Next step is going to be to write her up. I hate confrontations and stuff like this so it just causes me anxiety, not to mention how mad I am over her actions and then I am also working overtime to try and get things done, but I am on salary so I don't get the overtime pay. The other thing is that they gave her a good raise even though I had those comments, so it was like praising her for not working and to top it off, they gave me a lower % than they gave her.

There is tons more to complain about, but I am really thinking that this is just not worth all my effort and aggravation when the entire company is as bad as her or worse and the whole thing is a joke. The boss is even a joke. I have worked here for 9 years on July 19th and frankly I have just about had it. I think that just for my own sanity that it might be time to find a new job...I would really rather work for and with people who actually care and take pride in their work and don't constantly try to stab everyone else in the back. I feel like I am back in school and most of these people are older than me and should have moved on from those kinds of actions a long, long time ago.

Sorry for the rant, it is just really getting to me.

Take care,

Lisa

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
((((((((( Lisa ))))))))))))) You have described a ton of stressers that would just about sink anybody. I don't usually give advice, but if you have job options I would advise exploring those. I hear you saying that the place you work has become a serious stress pit and gives you very little in return. You deserve better. Do let your physician know how much stress you have in your life right now. It may be that she can prescribe something for the anxiety to help you bridge over this difficult time. And I'd come fire your assistant for you if I could. Wouldn't bother me in the least when someone is that blatant about disregarding what needs to be done.

Good luck,
Sunny

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Lisa ,
I am realy sorry you are having such a rough time and that you are having to deal with all that stress in your job which is obviously making you ill.
It really must be awful to have to work in and environment where that kind of behaviour goes on and really frusrating!!!! You do deserve better.
I hope things pick up for you soon and you manage to find some work where your efforts can be truly appreciated.
Sometimes bad things happen to force us to make changes for the better. :)

Take Care and good luck with everything.

Cassie :)

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Lisa,

Have you considered turning the tables on this girl? One time I had someone that was a real slacker. It was difficult but I found one thing she did well and commented on it. Then I brought in a soda as a reward a few days later. It took time and a lot of positive coaching but she did start putting some effort into the job. Now she is thriving in management.

If you don't have the time or patience to wait her out then get the write up done right away. I find getting the things I hate done first really helps the stress level.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
hi there,

I just wanted to send you some:hug: And to tell you I am thinking of you... I know how hard stress is on a body... I hope getting all this off your chest helped a little and I hope you feel better real soon...
:love2: Love Penny

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Lisa, my number one rule is: Stress=Pain. and it really does. I just got into a situation a few days ago, but I hope to solve it by the weekend, and I'm already out of my skin jittery. I did want to suggest that you look around and have a job ready and waiting for you, a sure thing, before you quit the one you are in. Jobs are becomming scarce during this recession, but someone in your (health) position can not stay in that type of atmosphere, you don't have to,you don't deserve to,you don't need to, and your body can't handle it.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Hi Lisa

That sounds so aggrivating ! I cannot believe that she got a raise too. you know in the way the world is right now there aren't any jobs, so you would think this girl would realize that and stay off the online sites at work.

Workplaces are always stressful one way or another. If this is getting too much to handle and your health is going downhill, maybe it wouldn't hurt finding another position somewhere else. Just find that position first before putting your notice in because I know too many people right now out of work. It is a scary thing.

Hope that your stress resolves really soon .

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all of your replies. It helps just to vent about it. I am in the process of making quite a few decisions regarding changes in my life and my job is one of them. I am not even sure what kind of job I want to get...I know that I want something different because I hate office work. I need to change a lot of things. I guess I just need to do one thing at time.

Take care,
Lisa

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks so much for reminding me that stress=pain. i am a police detective at a fairly large department and had to go on light duty because of pain and the medications. it finally came down to me realizing that i could not qualify with my duty weapon. i had rituxan treatments in april and may. the blood work indicated no change in ana or b cell activity. but i do think
it has helped with the cns after getting over the fatique with the help of provigil. but back to stress, on sunday the 13th it occurred to me that i can retire in 7 months. i felt such a relief and the world was off my shoulders. i went to work on monday and my boss was so understanding and i actually slept that night without waking up once. that was a first in years. i really do think stress hurts but it has taken me time to accept how i am now and what i can handle. but, i have learned that if i refuse to accept my limitations, there can be a price sometimes a high price to pay for ignoring what i know to be my physical and also just as important my emotional state.
best of luck with your job. i know it can take alot out of you and leave you drained. try and make home your safe place where you can be the
most important person...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts