The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking topamax for around 2 or more years, mostly to help me sleep although I do get occaisional migraines and bad headaches. I'm only on 50 mg of it. Lately I've had more and more problems with being spacey at work and having problems with concentrationg. Many days I feel "drug hungover". I did some research and found that many people on Topamax compained that it made them spaced out. So I've started decreasing it. I skipped one night of taking it and last night I took it very early in the evening so that it would (hopefully) wear off before I got to work.

What a difference! Yesterday was a great day for working and today has been a good one as well. Now I don't always have spacey days so I'm waiting to see if this continues, I'm going to try and skip my pill every 2 days or so. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I've already had concentration problems, I don't need a med to help in that area. (PS - yes, I've noticed my sleep is slightly disrupted in the mornings, but I may have to put up with that.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Topamax is known for some memory/recall problems but I thought it was at the higher doses? I used to take 200 mg until I became preg. but do plan on going back on it...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was prescribed topomax after being hospitalized with severe intractable migraines. My mental abilities went down the hole. It was like I couldn't do anything with numbers and recall. I also had a lot of numbness and tingling that was unbearable. There are definately other options than topomax. I have done pretty well on nortripytaline which doesn't affect my mental abilities (great since I'm a student).

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Jirel,

I too have heard mixed reviews on Topamax, however, if on trial and error you can find a way of taing it that gives you the desired results then that is great, just be sure that your doc knows what you are doing. Many are okay with patients "tweeking" their meds as long as they are in the loop.

Nancy

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far I am skiping my Topamax every third day and it seems to be working well. My mind is not 'extremely' clear, but it is certainly better than before. I see the doctor in about 2 weeks and will talk to her than as I'd really like to get lower than that but won't be comfortable with doing that without her help/approval/advice.

In other news - my five month long flare has ended!!!!! :woohoo:
I know you guys understand how good THAT feels. I just keep stopping in mid work and going "I feel okay!!" in astonishment. My hands are no longer swollen either and I've started doing housework after work. Of course it will probably take months for me to catch up but I no longer feel like I'm going to have to go on disability soon. Nobody hear can understand how good this feels. I really hadn't realized it was a flare and not just me until suddenly it was over.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Jirel,

I take Topomax (100mgs daily) the longer I took it the less severe the side effects were. I was also told to take it at night before bed and have at least a banana or extra potassium pill with it, as it lowers our potassium quite a bit.

For me, it has been a real lifesaver. My migraines were with auras, from whole one sided numbness for up to three days to severe vision issues brought on by bright sunlight. If I miss a dose I get really weird dreams.

I hope they find something that works, there are so many options out there. I was on five different meds before this one. I never had a migraine before lupus, but some doctors still think old school and say it's all stress.

My neuro says the research shows the same brain activity of a seizure and a migraine are very similar which is why anti-seizure meds work. I don't know, but I'm just glad things are better, not perfect, but better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts