The Lupus Forum banner

Topamax

463 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  acard 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I saw my neuro again and he put me back on Topamax 25mg work up to 50mg for my complex migraines.
I was taking Keppra a seizure med known to help with migraines, but I am still having far too many. I was on Topamax for 2 yrs , but then taken off when I was hospitalized with seizures. Anyway my side effects are numbness and tingling and it is bothersome, but this drug did help me before and I am just getting desperate at this point. My neuro specializes in seizures, so he has referred me to his colleague another neuro who specializes in migraines. I am happy about this.
My question is-any of you taking topamax and if you are-do you get the numbness and tingling too???

If you suffer from migraines and have medicinal advice-I would appreciate that too.:)

Thanks,
Becca

#2 ·
So far, so good...I think

I've been on Topamax for about a month now. I've worked up to 75 mg, on my way to 100mg. I was supposed to take it twice a day but I was way too groggy taking it in the morning. My neuro said it was ok to take it all at night. I've only had a bit of tingling so far. The only major side effect has been drowsiness and a bit of fogginess (during the day).

I'm taking it for migraines. I've been getting them more and more frequent with crazy aura's. Very scary actually. I had an EEG last week and went for an MRI/MRA this past Saturday. That did not go well. I took Valium but when they explained I had to wear a helmet thing I freaked a bit and had to reschedule to be sedated. I was never that clausterphobic until this whole ordeal began with my illness (very long story).

I'll keep you posted on the Topamax. So far, I've only had one migraine, but no aura with it, which was very unusual. Guess that was a good thing.

Best wishes to you.

Michelle.

SLE, Vasculitis, Raynauds, Wegeners ???

#4 ·
Michelle,
Thank you for your reply-I too have auras with some of my migraines. It is very scary and the migraines gets so bad that I usually end up in urgent care from dehydration because of losing all my fluids and so on , and so on. Topamax was good to me, but this time around maybe because of the mix of the other drugs I am on it is yucky, but I know will work, so will stick it out. My pcp also put me on propanlol which is for low blood pressure and used for migraines, so I am hopeful:)

KarolH,
Thank you for your always positive responses. I do need that and truly appreciate it:wink2:

HUgs,
Becca

#5 ·
Hi
I am on 100mg of topamax for over 2 years. I don't think that it helps the migranes but afraid to go off the drug if it is helping just a little. I have talk to my neuro about it and he feels the same way. I am on Imitrex pills and injections. They last 30 days have been horrible. Migranes my be cause by siniuses. I sarted 20 days ago on a sinus antibodic. Still have the migranes but not as bad. Will see PC doc and ask for sinus xray. A low grain sinus infection is hard to detect and treat.....yeah I have been down this route before.

My neuro suffers from migrains so he is very understanding.

Was in ER over a month ago for a level 10 migrane............worst place to be for a migrane.

Elaine

#6 ·
I take Topamax also, been on it for over two years. I take sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda in a pill) to help with the tingling sensations.

The doc said they would level off but never have for me and the pill helps some. He said Topamax throws off the natural balance of it in our bodies and the pill just replenishes what we need.

Good luck, I hate the auras just as much as the pain that follows.

#7 ·
Hi all,
I was a naughty girl and stopped my topamax. I am 2 days migraine free:) though I think due to the propanolol, which does not have ther nubness and tingliness that is soooo bad. I see the neuro on the 28th, so I will let you know if I find anything great out.

Thanks again for all your help!
Becca

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.