TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, had to post this, can't believe what I heard at work.

I was at a meeting which was supposed to be for senior staff to get up to speed and talk about concerns etc . I explained to my boss that I was concerned about the temperature in the office and that this affected productivity. I explained I was worried the summer would be too warm with no air conditioning, further explained in the winter the building was was so cold that I had to go buy thermal underwear to get through the day. I told him I got ill for months because I couldn't get warm and was concerned that this should be addressed.

He dismissed my concerns insisting that the warehouse our offices are in was warm enough, though everyone was working with their coat on.. it was intolerably cold He then had a few laughs at my expense regarding the thermal underwear. I just ignored it.

I come in the next day and am told by one of my collegues that an email has been circulated naming me and joking about how the company should issue company thermals with the logo on the front and some inappropriate comment about what should be written on the back. The boss had a good giggle about it apparently on this email which was sent to all managers and supervisors Worse still the supervisors showed it to their friends :eek:

I am totally disguisted by this behaviour. I have a legitamate concern as my illness is certainly triggered by cold. I have to sit in one position for hrs and they refused to bring me a heater incase they "overloaded the electrics". I wonder if I had some visable disability he would send emails making fun of me. I am a good worker, never late and give great results.

Unbelievable!!

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
I am not usually one to stir up trouble, but if this was me I would try to get one of those emails and have a little visit with the HR department. If not then next winter I would buy the manager a pair of thermal underwear as a kind gesture. Either way he would get the message.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Pollianna,

Did you receive that email? Do you have an HR person you can contact? (human resources) or a union rep?

Lupus is no laughing matter.:mad: I normally don't wish lupus on anyone, but....he needs to walk in your shoes.

It sounds like they are still in school making fun of someone.:(

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
521 Posts
I like lazylegs idea about the thermal underwear for a gift.

In the U.S. It is a practice (so it seems) to pick on the weak and sick. Not because of nature, but because the sick may be costing the company too much money in Health Insurance. And it would better for their bottom line to eliminate the expense (us). Their tactics are a way to get you to leave, willingly, no longer likeing where you work.

I would advise you not to get upset, because we all know it will make you sick. This would require you to stay out of work.

The last time something like that happened to me, I wrote the name of an equal opportunity organization that i found on the internet, that defends the minority and the handicapped.
I wrote a fake name and appt time on the paper with some other jibberish to get the people who were giving me a hard time to think i was reporting them to the authorities. Mentioned case number and a few names of co workers, namely the ones giving you a hard time and whatever else that might get the hairs on the back of their neck to rise.

lol Needless to say,, they left me alone and took me seriously. My boss got a good laugh for a year about that.

I hope you have resources similar to give them a scare. You don't have to be drastic about it.. People are naturally nosey,, so if you leave it on your desk for them to see passing by that will work. If anyone asks about it,, just act like it is a personal situation that needs its privacy. in other words NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.
or if they see their name,, tell them you are putting together a list for a gathering you are planning. It works,, believe me.

If you try it let me know how it went.

Good luck

·
Registered
368 Posts
:mad:I am totally disgusted,too!!!!!!!!! I would follow sadie's advice and find someone to advocate for you! After working at the same hosp. for 25 yr., they wrote me up every time I called in sick. They were not at all understanding! Luckily, I got on disability before they fired me. We need to advocate for ourselves! Your requests are not unresonable! Cathy

·
4,428 Posts
Hiya Pollianna..could be interesting to talk to 'Health and Safety'.. I think they are often over the top. But the temperature really does affect your health. How unprofessional your bosses have been..if one of our workers had come to the table with these concerns I would think it professional suicide to not take the concerns seriously and try and find some solutions..in this day and age they can't afford to not do that. Keep your chin up girl X
Claire X

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi

thought there was something about working in certain temperatures was breaking the law.:eek::eek::eek: check out health and safety.
Your boss sounds like a right PIG

dixy

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Pollianna

Im appalled and shocked at this behaviour by your boss :mad: It sounds like something Ricky Gervais would do in the series 'The Office'...:mad:

I would definitely get some professional advice on this one and perhaps also talk to your colleagues about the email and get their response. I am hoping that they will be as disgusted as you over this insensitive behaviour :mad: Perhaps you could ask to confront the writer of the email (with a friend or advocate with you) to explain his behaviour and make it absolutely clear to him that you are offended by it. You might also mention that you feel his actions constitute bullying because humiliating a worker is considered a form of bullying.

Im sorry you have to deal with so much unpleasantness.

Take care
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Pollianna

I don't know where you are located - but you can find information on UK workplace health and safety on the London Hazards Centre website. This site is for union and community organisers anywhere who need health and safety information. Temperature information can be found at http://www.lhc.org.uk/members/pubs/factsht/47fact.htm.

If you can get hold of one, you would do well to keep a copy of the email sent by your boss as evidence of workplace discrimination/bullying. This would be great insurance should you find yourself in an employment dispute at a later date. (As they say - trust me, I'm a lawyer)

Merle

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Pollianna,
Anyone with an ounce of sense would realise that a Warehouse is a cold place to be, there is NO dispute! I am sorry you were ridiculed for a genuine concern especially as you raised it for the benefit of everyone.
I rather like what Sadie did.
x Lola

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi Pollianna,
Wow what a nasty, low thing to do.
I agree with the others, you should complain. What he has done is a form of bullying and discrimination, and he needs to be stopped. He is obviously a sad little man who needs a reminder of how to behave in normal society.

So sorry that you had to experiance this.

Hugs
Elle x

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I think I just needed to tell you all cause I was so disguisted. We have no HR person and no legal protection at all. I haven't a chilly little sore leg to stand on :worried:

I will mention the email to him when I come across him and tell him what my collegue said. If I do it any other way then I am liable to simply be dismissed for "not fitting in"

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I should think you would have a claim on harassment grounds but who wants to go through all that.
Some people are two legged turds, wastes of good skin and oxygen. Too often one has to think that 'what comes round ,goes round' uncharitable though the thought is

Many hugs (((( Pollianna)))))

Clare

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Pollianna :wavey:

I just wanted to send some well earned hugs your way :grhug::grouphug2::grhug:.

There isn't anything i can really say that hasn't already been said by the others who have replied apart from keep a copy of this email and who it was sent to and also keep a diary of what is said to you by this ungreatful piece of poo :eek: that you have to call boss, as you never know when you will need it.

Take care :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Pollianna,

Do you have a Department of Civil Rights? Not sure where you are located but here in the US they are located everywhere.

I filed a law suit against my old employer for similar reasons and on the job harassment and filed it with the D.C.R.

I won the case, took some time but I won. I did not have legal protection either but there are places that advocate for workers in your situation.

Look into it or possibly chat with a attorney if they offer a free consultation. If not it may just be worth paying for a hour of his time.

I am sorry your dealing with the crap. I have been through it and it does not feel good at all.

I am still waiting to settle my worker compensation law suit. I fell in July 2003 so we are coming up on 6 years. Good things come to those who wait, and wait and wait.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Pollianna,
I am apalled at the reaction and behavior of your supervisor. Totally unacceptable behavior.

Is there any chance you can get a small thermometer to keep at your desk? It may be a good way to document what the temp actually is! If you can document it, and get others to sign off, then you may have a chance at having this poor excuse for a human forced to accept what is actually happening.

My father is always warmer than the rest of us. So, it could be that this man is dealing with a similar issue. [I finally got to where I would go put my frigid fingers on his neck when he commented that it was too warm. After a few "popsicle" encounters, he quit making a stink about his warmth and my freezing.] Having a thermometer would point out to him that he is on the "too warm" side and may need to take off a layer of suit jacket and/or vest.

I wish you well, and I agree with the previous posters that you would do well to get the copy of his email and his comments. This is harassment of the worst kind. If you can't get satisfaction from his superiors, you may have to go to the federal boards on EEOC. [equal employment opportunity commission] They love to tackle jerks like him.
Good luck,
Sally

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all, no there's no way I can do anything. This man has no superior, he is the superior. I haven't a leg to stand on. I will either have to like it or lump it or leave. I have no legal or employment rights. I know I should have but the environment I work in is notorius for treating workers badly. Rality sure does bite .

I will have to learn to rise above it. What do they say? the universe sends us lessons we need to learn. I plan to be philisophical but just had to tell you guys.
xxx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts