The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is 6am here, I have tossed and turned in bed for hours and finally got up instead of continuing to both my poor husband. Today is going to be a very long day for me, probably the longest in my entire 49 years.

I have a beautiful little 9 year old granddaughter, she is my heart beat. Today at 6 am Texas time they will be wheeling her into the operating room once again.

Sierra was born with little to no platelets in her little body. She had also suffered a brain bleed while inside her mommy. No my daughter did not do drugs or drink or smoke. We thought she had done everything perfect for a healthy baby.

Well Sierra surprised us all, mostly the medical staff at OKC Children's hospital when she fought to stay alive. Not only did she survive she managed to re-route her brain. She learned to walk, which even with a bad limp she did this. She learned to talk, maybe not to the best to be a public speaker. She showed me what being strong and a fighter was.

This pass summer she went through a 12 hour, 7 different surgeries on her legs to correct the limp and the damage done to her other leg from the limp. The very next day she amazed the doctors at the LA Shriners hospital by getting up and walking pretty as you please with a walker and two full leg cast.

The surgery today is to hopefully stop her many seizures, she has an average of 35 to 45 a week. The doctors at Cook's Children Hospital are worried she will lose her ability to speak because of the section they are having to remove to control these siezures.

Her biggest concern is she will not have long red hair like Nana for awhile.
Her words to me last night on the phone was, Nana I love you and I will be ok please do not worry about me, I do not want you to be sick because of me.

It is killing me not being there but my doctor is not allowing me to travel to Texas, I live in South Carolina, he says it is too soon after my ICU stay and my kidneys failing. So I sit here feeling so alone and so afraid.

So I am asking you all please pretty please say a pray for my beautiful Sierra.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Im so sorry you are going through this:sad:. What a terrible worry. Poor Sierra. She sounds like a wonderful little girl.

I will certainly say a prayer and keep you all in my thoughts. Please let us know how she is doing.

Much love and strength to you and Sierra
((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Oh...I am so sorry, that you and Sierra, have to go through this. You are very close, and it will help both of you get through it together.

She sounds like a perfect little granddaughter, and very lovely too..I will say a prayer for both of you. Take care of yourself, your still very ill.

Hugs and Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
:sad: I am so sorry to hear about your grandaughters operation!..what a very special,brave little grandaughter you have!

I will say a prayer & be thinking of you all today!

sending you all big hugs :grhug:

please take care & I know its extremely hard but try not to worry too much.
please let us know how sierra is
lot's of love to you all
karen x

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
All the very best for you and your little grand daughter.

I hope the surgery goes well and she recovers quickly

:hug:

X C X

·
Registered
869 Posts
Your grandaughter is such an overcomer :) ! Wow, what an inspiration she must be to so many people. I am praying for Sierra, you and your family. Please let us know how she is doing when you can. (((((()))))))'s and warm wishes.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It is just terrible to be the one waiting on a surgery, and be sick yourself and cannot be there...your grandaughter sounds like a very special little girl...the good thing about love is that it can travel the miles that we cannot. Be assured that your love is on a direct path straight to hold your little one's hand as she goes through this surgery. And her love is sent to you as well for your health. It is terribly hard not to worry so I will not suggest that you don't but be sure to get plenty of rest. Maybe spend some quiet time writing a letter to your grandaughter about how much you admire her bravery and love her. Take care, all my good thoughts for a safe and sucessful surgery. karly:hug: :love2: :flowery:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently had my first granddaughter and I cannot imagine the heartache you are feeling. My heart goes out to you and I am joining the others in standing with you and praying that Sierra comes through this and goes on to become the beautiful, happy, healthy girl she was meant to be.:yes:

That little girl obviously loves you very much, knows how much you love her and she is a fighter! Take heart!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Prayers

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in South Carolina. I live a couple of hours away from you and am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Your granddaughter sounds like an angel and I am sure you are one for her. Please keep up your strength and the more you heal , the sooner you can be with her. She sounds like such a wonderful child and a gift of strength for all of you. It is amazing how children can touch our lives with with amazing courage and strength when facing difficult times. I am sending hugs and prayers for your continued recovery and hers as well. May you both be healed physically as you are in your heart.
Jules:)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I think it is understandable that you are tossing and tunring. I think most people would be out of their minds with worry.

I hope everything goes really well for Sierra, she sounds truly wonderful and so typical of a child to worry for you when she is so ill herself.

hugs to you both and her parents,
:hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Caringbridge

Here is a place where if you like you can go and see how my granddaughter is doing, she is in surgery as I type this and they have done 2 grids so far, they keep my daughter updated who in turn calls me.

Caringbridge.org from there you will see Caringbridge website with a box below it, type in Sierragodwin (as one word) and the next page will ask for a password which is april2001

this is her caringbridge website and you can see pictures of her and even be a guest in her book of visitors. I hope you will go there and see my little angel.

Thank you for all your kind words and prayers. I will keep you all posted on further news.....

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi there,

I'm sending you a gentle hug as you wait to hear how your granddaughter is doing.:hug:

Also sending the very best of wishes for a speedy recovery. If anyone can fight through this it sounds like Sierra can.

That's a fabulous name by the way for a fabulous girl.

:getwell:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I know everything will go well for your granddaughter. She is a very brave and strong little girl. Please keep us informed on how she is doing and I hope you can get some rest when you know more on how she is doing. I will look at the website that you posted. I will keep you and your granddaughter in my thoughts.

JEN

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First Surgery is over

She made it through the first surgery, they removed a cyst and found a bone growing in her brain, they had to remove it. They can not explain why it is there but it was.

Right now she is sleeping, they have her in ICU. She woke up for a few moments, asked her brother to hug her and went back to sleep.

This friday is the next round, they go back in and put in more grids and we find out from there when the next surgery is. The doctors said there could be up to possibly 7 surgeries total.

Thank you so much for all your wonderful words, and thank you from my heart for your prayers. I will continue to keep you posted on how she is doing.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I looked at the website you gave and it looks like she came through the op well. That's a really nice idea for friends and family that can't be there.

She is a very pretty little girl with gorgeous red hair. I know how close I was to my Gran and it's a very special bond. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts for her speedy recovery and that you stay well.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
553 Posts
I am sorry that you cannot be with you Granddaughter in body but I am sure she will be aware of your presence....

She sounds like such a brave little girl or more like young lady... an inspiration...

My thoughts are with all your family and for the speedy recovery of your beautiful Granddaughter

Hugs

Claire:rose:

·
11,409 Posts
(((Mysticred)))

Your granddaughter is a very pretty.
You and your granddaughter are in my prayers.

I hope the surgery will take care of her seizures. They can be so scarey. :hug::hug:

Prayers and warm thoughts.

Lyn

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am so glad to hear that your lovely grandaughter is doing well. She really has had to go through a lot:( . Thanks for keeping us posted:) . Keeping you all in my prayers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More updates

Sierra did not sieze last night, a first in a long long time. They have removed her from her seizure medicine to see if possibly it was the cyst and the strange bone they found causing everything inside her little brain to act like it need rewiring.

So here is the new plan, doctors are waiting to see if she siezes. If she does not seize from now till friday morning they are going to asume it was the bone and cyst causing everything. If she siezes she will go in for the second surgery. And they rest will follow, a total of between 5 to 7 surgeries in all.

She is bein moved to a regular room because she is doing so well. She is once again talking but it is very low and slow. Again they blame the meds they have her on now. But everything right now is showing she is on a fast recovering and possibly no more seizures.

The doctor told my daughter this morning they were amaze she was already so alert, she even asked for something to eat. But she did not like what they gave her but she did drink some juice.

They are now letting my daughter stay in the room with her, so she is checking out of the Ronald McDonald house. She asked me to say thank you again to each and everyone of you that prayed for Sierra. And for those that visited the caringbridge website and those that posted, she said she read them to Sierra this morning and she called you all nana's friends.

Now I want to thank you from my entire heart for being here and being the special wondeerful group you all are. I finally slept alittle last night and believe it or not I am going to post this and lay back down.

Thank you so much again for your prayers and thoughts.....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts