TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, last summer I fogot to put my Atenolol (blood pressure) pill in my daily pill planner for the week when I went on vacation. I was really upset about it, not only because I almost wound up at the emergency room but because I have never made that kind of a mistake before, I was always helping my mother with her meds.

This week has been even worse. On Tuesday I noticed I was having several heart palpitations again. I checked and once again everything was high, my bood pressure being 149/91 while my heartrate was 121. A friend of mine asked if I'd forgotten the Atenolol again and even though I was sure I hadn't, I checked my daily containers. And found that my Atenolol WASN'T in there, which means I had forgotten it for at least 2 days. So I put it in for the rest of the week.

Well, THAT was bad enough, but then it got worse. My cat got sick and work got stressfull and I really started stressing out. Wednesday I got insomnia and found myself crying myself to sleep. I thought, well its just a bad day. But then the same thing happened Thursday. Finally Friday morning after I got to work I just realized I was WAY to hyper and I once again checked my pills. This time I counted, and only came up with 12. (Should have been atleast 14, 15 with the vitamin pill). Then I had to stare at the pills to figure out what was missing. Yeah, the Paxil and Welbutrin. My anti-depressent pills. And since I had filled the container on Monday morning, that meant I hadn't taken a Paxil in 5 days. No wonder I've been a basket case.

I've restarted the Pills of course, and I'm calming down pretty quickly - although I bet I cry fairly easily for days if not weeks. But I'm really not happy over all this. I have no family any more - mother died in 2000, I live alone, I work a mimimum 40 hour week and I can't afford this kind of mistake. Yeah, I'm going to work up a pill schedule that I check every time I go to make up my pills, but what am I going to screw up next? Is it still safe for me to be driving to work now? Not that I have much of a choice... :sad:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Jirel,

Don't kick yourself in the butt over the fact that you forgot some of your medications. You have no idea how often I have done that. Example: I too take about 15 pill and a while back, I kept looking at my meds and I knew something was missing, I just couldn't figure out which ones they were and man did that become a HUGE mistake. It turned out that one was part of my Potassium the dose which meant one more per day. That wasn't exactly a biggy and easily corrected. The MAJOR one was my Cymbalta. I was taking 60mg twice a day and by the time I realized that I hadn't been taking it, it had been two plus weeks and I kicked my husband out and told him I wanted a divorce. I immediately told my Rheumy about my mistake, and my got me in and talked to him. I had to sign a contract with him, saying that I wouldn't/couldn't do anything legally binding for two months at which point I had to go back and see him.

Once I got my medications straightened out, my hubby and I talked and worked things out. He didn't move right back in right away, it was about a month later. Went back to my doctor and have gotten my meds straightened out and all is well.

It is very important that you talk to your physician and get all your meds lines out correctly. It can become dangerous to come down off antidepressants quickly and at once, aka, cold turkey. Let him get you straightened out. At that time if you need a counselor, then by all means get everything worked outl

Remember that your physiciam is here to help you and to ensure your safety. Also get a pill keeper to help dose your meds for each time. good luck and keep us posted. We re hear for you and chances are, I am mot the only one to go thru this.

Good luck,
Nancy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
((((((Jirel))))))

I'm sorry to hear this,how frustrating & scary :sad:

Try not to be too hard on yourself,it's so easily done.I have done the same thing myself & have often heard others do the same thing.although the consequences for you & nancy were more serious,as you said you need an airtight pill schedule.

I'm glad you seem to be recovering from this jirel,I hope your emotions settle quickly..you mentioned your friend who has some knowledge of your medications.could you perhaps ask her for some help?or other friends?most people are only to happy to help,it's just that we don't like to ask.

take good care jirel
karen x

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Jirel,

I've had the same problem, also taking about 15 different pills each day, and at different times of the day.

I talked to my pharmacist and she now "bubble packs" my meds ahead of time for me, so i recieve about a months worth at a time, and they are all packed into times and days for me. Might be worth discussing that with your pharmacist and see if that is possible for you? I find it very easy and every week no longer have to sit and count out pills and pray i haven't missed any for my organizer. :)

Just a suggestion, and hopefully it's an option for you!

Best of luck!

Karin

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have messed my meds up 3 times majorly in the past 1 3/4 yrs:( . This is despite having bought a fancy pill box with slots for each day and different times of day. It is terrifying not to remember what you have taken or how many:worried: . My husband knows I am having this difficulty but is no help, chooses to ignore instead of help. I am too afraid to tell my Dr., and am at a loss as to what to do. I am going to try Karins suggestion the next time I go to the pharmacist, although, I'm not sure one would be willing to do that in the U.S..

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to hear it from others who have gone through it, way more than when my friends make suggestions or say not to worry about it. THEY aren't really going through the same thing and no matter how much they try to sympathize, it's just not the same as they don't have the same experience.

Nancy - I hope you and your husband are able to work things out and that he understands or becomes understanding of what's going on. I

was really lucky with the blood pressure med as a friend was over when I realized my blood pressure was off and asked me if I had been taking it. I wouldn't have checked it if she hadn't asked, because I was "SURE" I hadn't messed it up.

Too bad we can't teach cats to help us with all this, I have one sitting here watching me type that I think might be willing to help me out. :lol:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Jirel,

I am sure a lot of people have been in your situation with missing their meds. I have two different pill containers set up for my day meds and night time med, but that doesn't always work . I have forgetten to put my Plaqunil in my pill container and also my beta blocker for my rapid heart beat. Sometimes I even forget if I have taken my meds . I hope you can find a solution to help you ensure that all of your meds are taken daily. Don't feel down because you are not along.

Jen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts