·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
55 Posts
Howdy,
Thank you for the info it was very helpful...keep up the good work. I appreciate it as well as others....love ya lupie pal woody wooden :flowers:

·
Registered
88 Posts
My GP had mentioned that i have suffered from tIA's and that he was concerned that I had NOT gone to hospital. I did not know that those with LupusSLE were at risk and am glad to have found a bit of information about them here. thanks foreverfriends1

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Clare,

I had a TIA a few weeks ago so that makes interesting reading. Have my MRI on December 5th - this is because I discharged myself from hospital when I was sent in by my GP instead of staying in all night like I should have done.

I'm always doing that - it drives my family mad - but I just hate hospitals. Having said that next time it happens (heaven forbid!) I will go straight to emergency.

Daisy

·
Registered
161 Posts
QUOTE(Clare.T @ Oct 2 2005, 03:24 AM) [post=376386]Quoted post[/post]

Basically a TIA is a mini-stroke lasting less than 24 hrs

This site gives an explanation, possible causes and investigations. Several conditions that may be associated with SLE can cause TIA's

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000730.htm

Clare
[/b][/quote]

Clair, I was just in the ER for this, as I just found out this from my Doctor. I didn't know what was going on and went back to sleep after both times, it happened. It wasn't until I called my GP, that he had me go to the ER, and they said I had TIA. I just got off the phone with me Rheumy, and she was upset that they didn't keep me over night.

Well anyway.. thanks agian for this info it's very helpful .

TC,

Connie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi all been there done that. I spent 3 months in hospital, missed all the signs. I received this email some time ago and would like to share it with you all. It's on a serious note sent in a pleasant and easy to understand way. Hope this Helps. Good luck, and take care all
Twas
----- Original Message -----
To: Tracey & Ken
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2004 7:12 PM
Subject: FW: Recognizing a stroke

Here you go

and Your Welcome

***Recognizing a stroke***

Take a few minutes & read this!
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim
within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He
said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed and getting to the
patient within 3 hours which is tough.
RECOGNIZING A STROKE - A true story
Susie is recouping at an incredible pace for someone with a
massive stroke all because Sherry saw Susie stumble - - that is the
key that isn't mentioned below -and then she asked Susie the 3 questions. So
simple - this literally saved Susie's life - - Some angel
sent it to Suzie's friend and they did just what it said to do. Suzie
failed all three so then 9-1-1 was called. Even though she had normal blood
pressure readings and did not appear to be a stroke as she could
converse to some extent with the Paramedics they took her to the hospital right
away.
Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps. Read and
Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify.
Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster.
The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby
fail to recognize the symptoms of stroke
Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking
three simple questions:

1. *Ask the individual to SMILE.

2. *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
(Coherently) (ie . It is sunny out today)
If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1
immediately
and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers
could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems,
researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions.
They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's
annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test
could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent
brain damage.
A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10
people, you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

BE A FRIEND AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH AS MANY FRIENDS AS
POSSIBLE, you could save their lives.

·
Banned
3,921 Posts
[SIZE=24pt]

Wonderful!!

I hope alot of people take the time to read this article. I did not know the 3 questions and I had a TIA.
My aunt had a stroke, they discovered it when she could only say piano. Thanks again Teri
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

The smile one is a really good indicator for sure, my Neuro checks this every time. It shows muscle weakness on one side, after my last TIA I had a prominent weakness on left side of face only, the rest of left side weakness had disappeared by the time I saw him, but that remained for quite a while. You can still see a tiny bit of indentation where my left cheek isnt quite as perky as my right and my smile if ever so slightly off.

love
Lily

·
Registered
708 Posts
That definately explains why I'm permenantly disabled from my major stroke when I was just 19 I'm now 41:hissy:
I spent well over an hour in A&E being prodded poked by countless doctors and students waited for the results of a lumber puncture, a brain scan and blood tests asked continually if I took drugs!

do I sound bitter?, thats because I am and will be 'til the day I die I was robbed of my youth.
I was concious, training to be a nurse at the time, I'd seen my mother have a stroke two years earlier repeatedly told them'' I think I've had a stroke, I've had a terrible headache for over a week and it's gone''- I've never trusted the medical profession since and sadly I like everyone else is am dependent on them

I had a right- side body TIA when I had aseptic meningitis,with steven-johnsons-syndrome, endocartitis and encefelitis (spelling)?- thankfullyI was unconcious my husband was asdvised he and our then 7yr old daughter, say their goodbyes as they were 99% sure I wouldn't see it through the night!i WAS told all about it in heatbreaking detail following my recovery (being in an area where patients are at the mercy of teaching hospital trust definately has many drawbacks
take care all of you.
(((LHG's+X's)))
Suex

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have MOST of those symptoms most of the time!!! My aunt has TIA's a lot but she says she starts getting confused first..They give her Valium to keep her calm.. She is in an assistied living home and we were there when she had her last one. It took the nurse 45 minutes to get her valium to her. Aunt Carrie was under the impression that the doctor had put on her records she could get it anytime she wanted it but the nurse said only once a day sooooooo it took that long for them to call the doc and tell them they could give it to her. Aunt Carrie thinks that the valium keeps her from getting paralyzed..She's 88 but the nurse tells her it is to keep her calm..

To the ones who have had this, what happens first??? and What meds do you take for it??

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Pickles,

The nurse is right, the Valium would be to keep her calm. I'd have to seriously question whether these are actually TIA's she's having or whether she thinks she is having a TIA which is bringing on some kind of panic attack. Hence the valium. If she is actually having TIA's and they are giving her valium and no aspirin or investigations into how they can help prevent a full blown stroke then I'd have to question what sort of care she is in

For me its hard to recall the order of events, your brain is affected after all, so piecing it all together is not something easily done after you've had one. On one ocassion I remember my left arm/hand feeling tingly, then shortly after I couldnt feel it at all, I also could not respond or understand what my husband was saying to me, knew he was there though. I had a brief but excruciating headache somewhere in between, along with confusion and feeling bizarre........ horrid. The slurred speech and staggering were more an after effect (or at least I wasnt aware of it until after as I was sitting down at the time it started), as was the face drop on one side I suffered during the second last one. Some (very slight) permanent evidence of that is still with me if you compare sides.

The first one I had was probably closer to a stroke, I dont remember much but had difficulty walking with my right leg for about 2 months, sheer stubborness got me back from that one (and my trusty walking stick which I've since disposed of
)

love
Lily

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi ..Clare..would u know if u had a TIA ...middle of may we were on a coach going to airport..i came over all peculiar, i couldnt move and my body went all tingley and weak..i wouldnt have been able to have stood up..and feeling sick for a short time afterwards....i was having trouble talking cos i was so weak........if i had been at home i would have gone to the A&E..i felt that weird..it went after an hour or so...should i have worried about it..i was ok when we got to the airport..

jane

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Jane

Its difficult to say what might have happened in your case. As a general rule if experiencing a TIA there is usually ONE sided weakness, tingling or numbness (along with other symptoms too). One side of the brain controls the opposite side of the body.

However slurred speech, not being able to understand what people are saying, or not being able to talk, staggering, dizziness, sudden visual loss or change, certainly indicate some kind of problem. The whole process does make you feel weak all over, but in my case I had a tingly hand at first, it soon progressed to my whole arm and then I couldnt feel the arm at all. I could hear my husband talking but couldnt respond, and it was different to my partial seizures I had been having (I'm unable to talk then also). I also had a horrific excruciating headache whilst the clot or whatever it was hit my brain, but that passed as the attack passed.

I hope you dont have a repeat of it, if you do and you are near an A&E then its essential to get checked out.

love
Lily

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I agree with Lilly that this should be investigated should it recur. It's my rule of thumb that any symptom that happens a FIRST time should be checked out. In the event it happens again, you'll have a better idea of what action is indicated.

Since you'd have gone to Emergency in another setting, it also makes sense that you should go even if it isn't so convenient. I know that can be hard to do and you may not have been able because of your speech difficulty to tell someone what was wrong. That is scary!

I had a tia 2 years ago and lost speech. Was unable to tell hubby till later what had happened, at which time he took me to Emergency. Fortunately I've had no further problems. I hope the same is true for you!
Angela

1 - 20 of 40 Posts