TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with Transverse Myelitis had a colonoscopy? I was wondering if the pressure from the air pumped into the colon caused any problems?

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi there! how are you? hope the rituximab doing it's tricks for you?

Re the colonoscopy - yep had one and it was fine, at least it had no impact at all on the transvere myelitis. It was a bit uncomfortable but you can take sedation and analgesia, which I didn't, which was a bit mad in retropect.

Do wish you well, let us know you get on
love cathy x

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
HI Lazylegs i have had them done a couple of times they give you a sedative but the second last one i had done i told her that the medication that they had given me had not emptyed my colon but she said that iwould be allright.But when she started i was allmost of the table i told her to stop.I was so angry at her i could have slapped her.But when i went back to get it done it was the doctor that has allways done mine was great but what i did was take my own medication before i went in and i was fine.When you come out you will be able to blow yourself home:lol: :rotfl: Good Luck Elisabeth:)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi lazylegs,

Just wanted to wish you good luck with this procedure :hugbetter:

love
Lily

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Lazylegs,

I hope they will give you a sedative in addition to putting you to "sleep". Has your doctor dealt with this situation before?

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Lazylegs,

Just a good wish for you with your colonoscopy.

Friend,
Sandy

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the best wishes.

The Gastroenterologist called this morning to go over any concerns I had for tomorrow's procedure. He doesn't anticipate any problems. I am not sure how much he has dealt with Lupus or Transverse Myelitis but he is aware of the situation and how it affects me.

I will be given a sedative for the procedure. The doctor claims most people fall asleep. Hopefully I am one of them. If not I will ask to be able to watch the monitor. My daugher's fiance recently watched his and found it very interesting.

Cathy,
The Rituxan is keeping things pretty steady. The only flare-up was my fault for overdoing.

Take care everyone,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Good luck lazylegs we will be thinking of you :hug:

love
Lily

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, never had this kind of treatment before. The colonoscopy was done in the brand new surgical center. The waiting room was filled with cozy couches and oversized stuffed chairs. Pretty silk floral arrangements and plants were set about the room. There were 2 flat screen hd tvs and a cozy fireplace. My husband didn't wait in the car this time. He happily stayed in the waiting room with his laptop.

Behind the scene was decorated more like the doctors office than a surgery center. Naturally they had all the latest equipment since it is only 2 months old. The nurses all treated me like I was the most important person in the world. Their nurses are always great but yesterday they were a step above. I never felt a thing. The doctor played on the side of caution and used only a small amount of air. He personally came to see me to let me know the results. I am clean as a whistle.

This morning one of my nurses called to check to see how I was doing and if the post op paperwork had been clear enough. I hadn't even looked at it. Inside the packet was a card signed by the doctor and each of my nurses along with 4 pictures of my colon. My husband and I laughed that they must be trying to be hospital of the year. I can say they definitely achieved making an unpleasant situation as comfortable as possible.

Thank you for all your support.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow, I am so glad it all went so well for you!

It's great to hear of the good things as well as the many bad about the health service. It's soooo encouraging!

And really pleased your procedure showed no abnormality!

Time for a celebration I reckon!

Well done!

Cathy x

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Im delighted to hear you had such a good time! :hehe: I never thought I would be saying that to someone who just had a colonoscopy! :lol:

Wonderful news on the results too of course!!

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi lazylegs,

I too have to laugh at your description of your wonderful experience with the colonoscopy :lol: Such a relief to have it over and done with and even better that there were no abnormalities :excited:

love
Lily

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I am so glad to hear it went so well. I was really groggy after mine and had to ask my husband later to verify what my GI doctor told me about mine.

Karen

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My experience should be a lesson for other health care facilities. A nice atmosphere and tender loving care makes unpleasant procedures much more palatable. Thanks for you support.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts