The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to you all
does anyone know of any associations/complications with travel sickness and Lupus??
I have for the past 4-5 years suffered dizziness, nausea and stomach cramps with Diarrhea when travelling.
I do have GERD and irritable bowel and take the usual suspects for this. But this is specifically when travelling distances, car,train, plane, all the same effect. Because of this I tend to get very anxious about travelling, simply because of the impact on my health (not sure if anxiety helps either)
Is this a familiar story, any advice, techniques etc.

I have a lovely new job with very understanding people that have taken a real interest in understanding Lupus, to the extent of; if you are tired, just call in and say you're working from home. But this job does involve travelling around the UK to meetings conferences.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone out there.....;)

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
I too get bouts of travel sickness from time to time. I find eating something like a saltine cracker helps absorb the stomach acid lessening the nausea. Small amounts of a carbonated drink can be helpful also.

When I am traveling by car it helps if I drive. If that is not possible sitting in the front seat watching where I am going helps. Never ride backwards.

On cruises or planes we try to stay to the middle of the ship or plane. There is less movement. On our last cruise the stabilizers weren't working so we had plenty of rocking and rolling. I found visualizing the ship going up and down through the troughs of water helped.

If you are real worried there are medications you can try. They do make you sleepy though. Before a cruise my doctor has me start the Dramamine a day before to let my body adjust.

Good luck with your new job.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
b.moonster,

Traveling should normally be relaxing and it sounds like it is far from that. First, the anxiety that you are experiencing sure isn't gonna help you any, if anything it will definately make it worse. There is medication that you can get to help with the motion sickness, etc. As for Lupus being responsible for your travel ailments, I truly do not know the answer. I guess anything is possible. Since your immune system is messed up with this disease, I am sure you could connect them somewhere if one wanted to look hard enough. I do know that having a baby can change the way your body responds to different things, the aging process and I am sure the list could go on. I love to travel and fly but then I still get those little twinges. For that, about two days before I take out on a trip, I eat light meals, avoid alot of caffeine, hard to digest foods and of course a wonderful visit to the drug store.

Good luck with your travels,
Nancy

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
I would try not to get worked up about the trip, I know that is easier said than done. I have found that like lazylegs if I am the driver that helps and if I am not I have to lay in the back seat with a pillow to my stomache. I too do the cracker thing. I am ok on short trips but longer ones do make me feel dizzy and sick to may stomache. I also to take a 7up or sprite with me to help settle my stomache ( at room temp and sip it along the way). It sounds like I am a big baby and sometimes I am. You can't help feeling the way you do when you travel. It also helped me to travel at night when it was cooler and the sun is not beating in on me helps a lot. I also have stopped every 2 hours on longer trips to get out of the and walk for a few minutes and move around so I don't get stiff and sore from riding which does help with the feeling sick. I hope some of this will help you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.