TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a cold, sore throat or my usual bronchitis for over five years now. Even the last two years while I've been on immunosuppressants, I've avoided those germs. Now it seems, I'm getting a cold. I have a mild sore throat and cough and now I don't know what to do. Do I treat it the same way I did before the lupus and Sjogren's? Or do I have to call the doctor in case it turns nasty? Do the immunosuppressants make it harder to get rid of the cold? This is new territory for me so I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

·
Registered
467 Posts
achoo

hi jesse

i get colds all the time unfortunately. now i'm not a doctor but i usually just take what i always take, motrin for fever and thera-flu so i can sleep well and it clears my congestion. sometimes it takes longer than i want to go away but at least i have some comfort. i know that when i was on interferon for my hep c my cold turn nasty so keep an eye on it and call your doctor.

hope you feel better soon
take care

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Jesse,

I am on methotrexate and when I gotmy first cold/cough I called my rhumey. The nurse said I should go to my GP right away. You have to be extra cautious when taking methotrexate.

I was put on antibiotics and couldn't take methotrexate while on antibiotics and wasn't to take metho until I felt better.

My advice is that you should get to your doctor and get checked out. Your immune system is suppressed and your body needs that time(without metho or any other drug like that)

Please keep us informed on how you are feeling.

Get better soon!

Lyn

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Jesse,
Are you sure it is a bug or is it allergies? I just finished a round of antibiotics due to allergies moving in and then starting a lung infection.
I am a firm believer in the "when in doubt, check it out" with your doctor.
I went out to my car to take the trash up for collection, and my car is covered with this fine dust......aka tree pollen. I've been sneezing every morning. So, I know this is trees blooming and puttint out their pollen.
Good luck,
Sally

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your responses. I am going to call the GP this morning. It's getting a little worse every day. It's true I had very similar symptoms when I had a bad allergy, but there is 6" of snow on the ground and I don't think it's allergies this time. Stranger things have happened, though.

You've all given me the information I needed and I know how to proceed. Thanks. You're the best!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone. The doctor's office called me back and just ordered Zithromax over the phone. I didn't even have to go to the office. I hope it works. I have company coming on Saturday.

Thanks for your help!

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Jesse,
I get upper res. infection at least twice a year and colds off and on all year long. I use my usual treatment of cough syrups, day quill, and a lot of fluids and rest. There are times when i have to call the doctor but I see what I can do first. You might check with your pharmancy just to make sure what you took before are fine to mix with your new medicine, but otherwise it is cold as usual lol. I hope you feel better real soon.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tammy, I'm feeling a bit better today but still not sure if I can go ahead with Saturday's plans. I guess I'll just take it one day at a time. At least now I have some idea how to treat these medical issues along with the lupus and Sjogren's.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi Jesse, I take cellcept and also have to be cautious about what I may be exposed to. Because the Lupus is in my lungs , my pulmonary doctor advised me to use saline nasal spray 4 times a day. This not only fights allergies but I feel helps to fight off colds. You might ask your MD about trying this. Take care, Rose

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Rose, I wouldn't have known to ask about that. I get so much great information on these boards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts