TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
i'm just wondering what treatment options area available for my rashes. they are triggered by UV and i'm already taking 400 mg of plaquenil a day.
i was given a high dose topical steroid for my face and it has helped, but of course i can't keep using that on my face and would like to know what options i may have before i go back to the doctor.

i was only given the ointment because the doc i saw at the time said i was "beyond his medical expertise" so he called a dermy to see what to do. i found it strange that even in a hospital they didn't know what to do with my skin. just found that so strange...........

anyways, any thoughts would be great.
thanks
lesley

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi lesley,

There are things you could add to the Plaquenil, however I know that in some places it's difficult to get it prescribed. One option is Quinicrine (Mepacrine) and there are quite a few threads here on it which will give you some more information if you do a search.

Are you being extra careful about limiting UV exposure? I am extremely photosensitive and I have to wear sunscreen inside and out and reapply it at two hourly intervals if it's sunny or I am under lights. Of course as far as the sun part goes then I just avoid it as much as is humanly possible because the effects for me aren't worth it. But sometimes it's hard avoiding lighting so being vigilant about the sunscreen can help.

If all that fails then your doctor may consider something like Azathioprine (Imuran) if your skin problems are really not being well controlled after you have tried other methods. It is a big step up from Plaquenil but the two together may help. I'd try and explore the Quinicrine angle first though. It is only available from compounding pharmacists and you will need a prescription from your doctor.

take care,

love
Lily

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks lily!
ya, i'm being really careful with exposure. sunscreen (which i hate, but wear) and only go out when i have to. same with stores, only when necessary and i'm as quick as possible.
i'll check into those options and see if my doctors have any good info.
thanks again
lesley

1 - 3 of 3 Posts