The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got diagnosed with lupus, and I also just got married to a soldier. I will be moving to Arizona soon, and I am having no success locating a rheumatologist who is covered under tricare. Does anyone know of one in the Tuscon area that I'm just not finding? My current rheumatologist indicated I needed to get hooked up with one ASAP once I get there.

And any advice as far as dealing with tricare would be super duper awesome.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't know of any personally, but another possibility is to call around for a doctor of Internal Medicine as you PCP/GP doctor asking if they have experience with any SLE patients and if they have any recommendations for a rheumy. Rheumy's are internal medicine doctors that go on to specialize as a rheumatologist with additional training, so the next best thing would be an internal medicine doctor to fill in the gap until you can find a rheumy.

You can also contact the LFA = Lupus Foundation of America and see if they have a local chapter with a list of physicians you can go through and see if they are covered.

Lastly, you may need to expand your search to another bigger city in Arizona. Unfortunately, we have a few members who have to travel a few hours or more for their rheumy appointments for various reasons including quality of care and insurance coverage.

Good luck!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello it has been awhile since i was in the Mil but when i was we had a tricare office on base who could help refer you to local doctors.
They listed them by specialty and if they had them listed they were on the list to take tricare.
Ask your husband to stop in and talk to them prior to your getting there.

Or stop in as soon as possible when you get there.

They shoukd be able to help you. I know in our area we had a local med school who was on the list and had alot of doctors of all specialties. It worked well.
The only bad part is it was a med school so you had your doctor and at times six or seven students all looking at you at the same time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi

I drive to Tucson from Phoenix (about 2 1/2 hours) to see my rheumatologist: Her name is Margaret M. Miller, M.D. She sees patients at her office at the (University of Arizona Cancer Center. It might seem odd except that she runs their infusion center as well. She is board certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology. If you have lupus blood issues, excellent hematology is right there. You can see her here on the Cancer Center web site:

http://www.azcc.arizona.edu/fap/results.asp

Her special interest is in use of biologics in treatment of autoimmune disease.

While Phoenix is a much larger metro area, Tucson has the university expertise that is not available in Phoenix.

Perk: A few blocks south of her building is one of the best sandwich shops on earth...divine. Beyond Bread

I don't know about the insurance question, but you could call and ask.

If you have questions, send me an email! Hope you enjoy Tucson.

Fran

1 - 4 of 4 Posts