The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAArggh!feel like someone is twisting a knife into my cheekbone and pushing my teeth out from the roots.Any tips anyone?
julsie

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's ok.I have now resigned myself to brandy and coke as it is the only thing that will kill the pain and everything is good with the world again:)
Julsie

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Poor Julsie, I know extremes of heat or cold can trigger an attack. It is an excrutiating pain, I had a relative with it.
If it goes on some seizure meds help it or there are nerve block injections or surgery.

Sending Hugs,
x Lola

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Julsie, have you been dx with trigeminal n, and is it brought on by lupus? I have been told I have trigeminal neuropathy as well as occipital neuropathy. It hurts almost all the time, although thankfully not the digging pain most of the time. Do you have triggers?

It's true that the anti-seizure drugs such as gabapenten help with nerve pain. If you havethis kind of pain often it's well worth checking with your doctor. It takes a while for the meds to get into your system, and then it's a take all the time rather than a take when it hurts. At least that's what I've been told.

Would be very interested in hearing about your treatment and if your doctor gives you any hope of getting relief from tn.

Sunny

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sunny,
I don't know what triggers it with me,but thankfully I haven't had a bad attack for quite a few months.Until I found out what it was,I just thought it was sinusitis or tooth problems.I'm on carbemazapine,but it is not helping yet.I had to have quite a few brandy's last night to help with the pain and it does work,I just don't want to be drunk all the time:hehe: and I took neurofen in the early hours of the morning.I don't know if stress is a trigger.Last time I had it really badly,I was on holiday with my mother-in -law:)
Julsie

·
Registered
111 Posts
hi julsie,

just thought i would let you know that my mum has had this problem for 40 years. She couldnt even eat at one stage.

It does come and go, I dont think anyone knows what brings it on.

Pain killers definately dont work on it!! The carbamizapam are the only thing that will work on it. At one stage my mum took a low dose everyday to keep it under control.

I just wanted you to know that its the only drug that will work on that particular pain. It does take a while to get into you system, well not that long. They just dont work like pain killers they work on the actual nerve in the brain.

My mum has since had an operation for hers and has no pain at all for 5 years now.

Hope you can keep it under control as i know how awful it can be

take care
angie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts