TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I had decided, prior to my diagnosis of Lupus, to try for a baby.

However, since being diagnosed we put it on hold.

But now we have started to talk about it again.

But does anyone on here know if being on 400mg of plaquenil per day will effect either my wife or baby? Also, whether plaquenil really does reduce sperm count?

I will be discussing this with my Rhumy when I see her. I discussed this with my GP, but he just said "No. It will not have an effect on you, your wife or baby". But as I don't trust his opinion none too much (I know, not a good thing) I wanted to double check if anyone has been given advice.

Already done some search on the net but got differing viewpoints :worried:

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is so timely for me. My husband and I had planned on trying starting in Oct and then this past week I was diagnosed and put on plaquenil. I also have searched the net and came up with conflicting opinions. As far as US, plaquenil is classified as a drug that they don't know if it will do anything or not. As far as the UK, they say it will not affect anything (just no breastfeeding). So I'm confused as well. Any one?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Nowadays, women are routinely advised to stay on Plaquenil throughout their pregnancy as the risk of a lupus flare caused by going off the drug is worse than any risk to the fetus. Additionally, it is very safe to take while breastfeeding too as only 4% of the dose or less gets into the baby through breastmilk (compared to nearly identical dose to mom's dose during pregnancy). Many women have stayed on this drug throughout pregnancy without any problems for them or their baby - including myself.

As for men, I am much less familiar with the effects of Plaquenil on men but I would imagine if it's safe for women, who are on it throughout pregnancy, then it seems like it should be safe for men. If it does reduce sperm count, it still may not affect ability to conceive, and there is an easy way to test sperm count if you're not having success after several months ;)

As always, talk to your rheumy about this and then let us know what you find out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Surferboy, It is not something I have ever read anything about so I won't advise you at all. Just wanted to wish you both Very Good Luck!
x Lola

·
Registered
376 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you Surferboy, but I agree that Plaquenil should be safe for you as well.

I wanted to mention to mtyaphrdti that I have read many times that women feel the best and often go into remission while they were pregnant. I personally know two people with crohns, another autoimmune disease, where this happened. I have also read it a few times on this forum. So, I think that is a positive.

Nutty

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Surferboy,

If the case is that the effects are so minimal-zero then go for it!

You may not have much faith in your GP regarding Lupus treatment, but he should still know (from his little drug book) what advice to give out re. how drugs effect pregnant women and sperm count.

Only, if your having problems conceiving is there need to worry and seek more help!

Worrying before the problem exists is not a good idea!

Lesley

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am currently 19 wks pregnant and I am seeing a ob and a high risk pregnancy doctor. They both agreed to keep me on 400 mg of Plaqunil and put me on a lose dose baby asprin. I have not felt this good in a long time especially with no fibro pain and lupus. I hope I continue to be painfree. My husband and I pre-planned the pregnancy for almost a yr and I did have to get off a lot of meds prior to becoming pregnant. I found out Tuesday that I was having a little boy so now I have to start thinking of names.

Jen

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice... and best wishes :)

I'm seeing my dermy next week so will ask her. I have no faith what-so-ever in the advice my GP gives :( After all, he is the one who said I have nothing to worry about regarding sun exposure!!!

Oh, and Jen CONGRATULATIONS :) But please don't ask me to give any name ideas. According to my wife I give out the worst names :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm a male dignosed with lupus at 23yrs lost a leg kidneys and have a stroke due to lupus never met another male with lupus,ionly took prednisone for the worst part i had a baby son at 27yrs a fine baby who gave me a reason to live on 2007 i had a kidney transplant everything is going good my son will turn 6yrs soon after transplat they took me out the prednisone because my transplant i have not giveup on life my wife couldnt take it anymore and left me i gave my life to the lord and my life isgoing beter as if we can have a baby aftyer dignosed with lupus i believed is up to God and yes we can remember i onlt took (prednisone) y tried (Plaquenil) but only took for a couples of week that's it i do noy know what are the side efect of Plaquenil i live a normal life i used a prosthetic leg ang a sling to hold my left arm do to the stroke but still do carpentry around the house and still go under my car to fix it don't give up will get better hope this ispired you excused my poor writting i just wanted to give what i was looking for when i got dignosed and my life was a mess

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wow Carlos...what an inspiration. You have won many battles I see and you have a great attitude dealing with your Lupus. I'm glad you are managing the way you are. And I'm glad to hear that you have a wonderful son and things seem to be okay for him.

The nice thing about this forum is that you are not alone. We seem to be getting more and more men on the forum which is great...as long as you don't mind the women going on and on about stuff:hehe:

Welcome to the forum.

Nutty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts