The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SAM M
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all have been to docs today as have been suffering with a really weird tummy for ages a lot of you i have already chatted with about it ! Anyway doctor thinks it may be Celiac Disease !?! symptoms seem to be pointing that way had blood tests and again we wait :hehe: Anyone any info/advice for me ?
Hope you all doing ok ?:wink2:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If the blood test comes back negative, your doctor will/should proceed with endoscopic examinations (upper for sure, possibly lower) because biopsy is the "gold standard" way to diagnose Celiac disease. The blood test can be negative but you still have the disease.

Good luck and hope you find an answer/solution for your tummy problems soon.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Sam,

This may be a very simplistic answer to your problem, and may not be enough to help, but it can't hurt. I started having major stomach trouble once I was started on Imuran. I didn't want to take yet another medication for this new problem, so I started eating Activia yogurt. If you're not in the states, I'd ask a nutritionist for the kind of good bacteria that helps with digestive problems. It took about a week for it to work (they say to allow 2 weeks) but it solved my stomach problems. I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of eating Activia every day, but it helps so much that I will continue to do it. Maybe it could help you.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Sam,

I had severe stomach, and intestinal problems until I started taking plaquenil and managed to get my disease under better control. My problems subsided once I got proper treatment.

I don't know if your already getting treatment or not. Also, some of our meds can cause severe problems. Do you take steroids? If so, you may need a med to protect your stomach from the steroid.

I take nexium, and it helps me. I ended up in E.R. twice for gastritis from taking prednisone with nothing to protect my stomach.

I hope you feel better soon Sam.

Sandy

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Sam,
I have had celiac disease for over 35 years. The easiest way to figure is to go off all wheat, oats, barley, rye, and anything containing "modified food starch" in it. If your symptoms disappear, then you have your answer. The sooner you are diagnosed the better. The more scar tissue you have in your small intestine, the more problem with absorbing anything in your small intestine. Scar tissue does not let anything pass so it is best to catch this early.

Another reason, the longer you don't let things heal, the longer it will take to ultimately heal. It takes up to 2 months to get those little cilia in the small intestine to grow back, if they ever will.

If I can help with hints, means of survival, let me know. There are so many ways now to deal with this, it is a shame for anyone to live with it raging on.
Sally

·
SAM M
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replies

Thanks for all your replies.Yes im on Plaquenil have been on it now for 3 months. Will definatley try the Activia heres hoping ! Ive been reading up on Cealiac Disease and have found that a few people get misdiagnosed with Lupus when it was Cealiac Disease all along ?!?! Now theres something to think about eh ? Thanks again all :wink2:x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.