TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with lupus or who know of someone with lupus had a tummy tuck procedure? Were there complications?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I wonder if you will get much response with respect to a very specific tummy tuck procedure.... so I thought I'd tell you that I had my gallbladder out and it went very well. ;) I can't even say that the stress of the surgery made my lupus flare worse...

You definitely have to tell the surgeon about your medical history, including lupus and medications you are on. I had to stop the low dose aspirin for a few weeks before hand to prevent too much bleeding for example.

Elective cosmetic procedures it is a slightly different thing - and you have to more carefully weigh the benefits to the risks especially when you have lupus. That said, many here have had surgical procedures go off without a hitch. I've not heard many serious problems actually... but maybe some will come along & tell you of their experiences... good and bad.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Neither good reports nor bad reports could form a sensible basis for your decision about this surgery. Everybody "with lupus" is slightly different. When somebody says they have lupus my first question always is How does it affect you?
You need to make the decision with your rheumatologist's advice and that of the surgeon with him knowing the full facts of your case in all the usual respects as well as all the facts of your lupus.

I have read several reports and can't remember any particular problems but then we never know all the details. We might never hear about the disasters of course, especially if people have made foolish decisions against their doctors' advice and not having done their homework sufficiently and so on

:)
Clare

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I will tell you that before I had Lupus I had many surgeries without any complications, from sinus surgery to a total hysterectomy, so minor to major surgery.

Last year I underwent a 6 hour surgery to remove my stomach. The surgery itself went well but the complications after the surgery left me scared so bad to ever have another surgery again. I did not know I had Lupus at the time I had surgery in July 2007.

I was in ICU and faired well, but when they moved me into a step down unit all **** broke loose. I could not breath at all, was literally gasping for air. This in itself cured me from ever wanting to receive anesthesia again.

Then I developed fluid around my spleen and severe ulcers. When they took out my staples my incision open up wide as if they just cut me open. This is called a Seroma and it took many, many, many months with a drain tube sticking out of my stomach area to heal this un godly wound.

Then the feeding tube I had would not come out.......it was stuck. Every time they tried to pull the tube out it would send me into Autonomic Nervous System dysfunction......HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

They had to eventually take me back into the Operating Room to remove the feeding tube which should have been a simple office procedure to get it out.

Now, I have lost so much weight that not only would I need a tummy tuck but a boob lift, thigh lift, butt lift, etc.....you get the idea. NO THANK YOU as I will be happy with my saggy skin.

Personally, after what I have been through the thought of elective surgery for me makes me cringe. I can not even wrap my mind around any surgery ever again without it putting me right into a severe panic attack.

If there is such a thing as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from a bad surgical experience then I have it for sure.:eek::eek::eek:

·
228 Posts
I considered getting a tummy tuck years when I was feeling great. Even as healthy as I was then I personally decided not to, due to the extreme healing process of a tummy tuck.
It can take up to a year for the lymph system there to heal.
Do your research, talk to your doctors (rheum & cosmetic surgeon consult, be sure to get a board cert. plastic surgeon) openly and honestly and be ready to be in for a long ride of healing and possibly getting flares. The more informed you are BEFORE you make a decision, the better. Obviously, the decision in the end is your own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts