TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe that even with out a diagnosis of ANYTHING I am still turned down for health insurance! They said because of my ANA, which hasd not been positive for 2 years, and 1 high cholestrerol test. I think this is crazy and now I'm not sure what to do!
Any one else have this problem?:(

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Jen:

Is this a group or private plan? It it health coverage or life insurance? Have you had health insurance before? If so, how long since you had it last? If it less than 65 days, you should get a HIPPA letter from previous insurer and see if that helps.

Sorry I cannot offer more, maybe someone will come along who can help more.

Stephanie

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Unfortunately, private insurance companies in the US are perfectly able to do this. You can try other companies/other plans, and someone may be willing to take you on. You will likely pay much more though because of your past medical history if you are accepted.

The *only* options to get health insurance if you have lupus are:
(1) through work - your work or a spouse's employer
(2) through a government program such as medicare, medicaid. There are both state and federal level programs to look into; many programs are in particular available to low income mothers with younger children.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Jen,

I was turned down for life insurance but not health insurance. They said something in my blood but now one would tell me exactly what they meant.

My doctor couldn't determine why they denied me for insurance.
Of course this was all before i was diagnosed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your thoughts. I lost my job in September, had a baby girl in November, now I am working and looking for private health insurance. I guess I might have to find a different job that offers group health benefits. Right now my biggest problems are my terrible joint pain, rashes, and chronic fatigue. I wish I could go back on Plaquenil. That seemed to help, although I was only on it for 7 months before I found out I was pregnant.
I just can't believe that even without a diagnosis, I am still stuck!
;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am on medicare (because of disability SSD) and medicaid as well, but then of course you either have to be making very little money but medicaid might be worth a try. But to get medicare I had to be disabled for several years before it kicked in, some sort of medicaid and there is a program that the uninsured can try for, although I don't know if it was just an Indiana thing. I will be hoping you find something soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts