The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been having these pretty intense involuntary muscle jerks. to the point where it will move my entire extremity, or torso. my husband tells me that I do it a lot in my sleep and cannot beleive that I get any sleep whatso ever with all the twiches I get.

does anyone else get this? Is it part of the myositis or something else?

·
Determined radiographer
36 Posts
Hi there,

I get jerks occasionally, and always get them in my sleep, but to be honest I haven't considered it could be part of my lupus, hopefully someone will be able to help you out with this topic.

Lisa

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I have something called myocolonic jerks...(spelling?) diagnosed by my Neurologist. Have you ever been to a Neurologist to have this checked on? If not you may want to set up a appointment with one. Also, have you been tested for RLS? (Restless leg syndrome) It may be what is happening at night while your sleeping, I don't know?

I hope this subsides soon for you.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
Every so often I will have a "spaz", usually at the most inconvenient times. I have had these most of my life, in varying forms. My Mother has these too; she called them the "congenital shakes".
You are not alone.
Douglas+

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi I also have these involuntary "jerks". It looks like im "pissed up" (I wish):wink2: when walking or sitting down.

I apparently do this alot in my sleep and hubby comments "been dancing last night was the music good".:)

As Douglas says you are not alone, but I would mention this to your Doc.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I also have myoclonic jerks. They happen anywhere now, it used to be just one section of my body, but it is now more intense. I get very embarrassed. It ususally happens when I am tired or have overdone it. Have you had it checked with your doc? They can give you meds to help.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have experienced what you describe and there can be many reasons for it. Some of the possibilities include: serotonin syndrome (medication related), restless legs syndrome and/or periodic limb movement disorder (or whatever it's called --- RLS affects the legs only, PLMD affects the legs as well as other parts of the body), CNS disease, insufficient GABA available to the brain, etc.

My problems with this symptom started when my rheumatologist decided I had fibromyalgia and prescribed amitriptyline. The amitriptyline caused the symptom. Rheumatologist prescribed clonazepam to address the symptom which worked for many years. Developed serious heart problems because of the meds so had to quit them May 2008. Developed muscle contracture in my neck and jerks and spasms all over my body that no meds (other than clonazepam) could tame. Prescribed gabapentin in April 2009. Gradually over time the periodic muscle spasms and jerks ended. Still have the permanent SCM muscle contracture in my neck. Gabapentin affects the level of GABA available to the brain. Long term use of clonazepam can change one's brain chemistry permanently leading to life long dependence on GABA enhancing drugs but I also have cerebrovascular disease and have had at least two TIAs so I have other things going on with my CNS that could be contributing to the problem as well.

I hope this helps.

Barb

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi there

i get this too, very weird. Sometimes i will be in bed (it always happens when i am rested) and i will suddenly jerk or jump or suppose. It also happens when i am tired physically or emotionally. I did mention it to the rhuemie but he didnt seem overly concerned as usual.

hope you get some answers soon

annie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.