The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

So sorry to be starting another miserable thread so soon after my 'finally given meds' thread.

The pred really seemed to have given me a new lease on life and now another thing has hit! A couple of days ago I started experiencing pain in my gums/jaw to the point today I got up and had swelling in my face and a whole heap of pain:(

I went to see the nurse at our GPs and she explained that everything seemed ok although she could see the swelling and suggested that it may be an abcess so to go to my dentist. I asked if it could have anything to do with the ear infection I had a couple of weeks ago on the same side but she said not.

I managed to get appointment with dentist and he took x-rays etc.. He explained that I have a problem with my jaw joint and it could be infected. I also have a little inflammation in my gums and a possible infection around my wisdom tooth that is 3/4 through!!!!:worried: He said that I obviously have alot going on there and that I need to take antibiotics. Just another 3 tablets extra a day.

Wow I feel really down and fed up. Stood in kitchen earlier trying to digest everything and ended up shedding a few tears. This is so not like me.

Really sorry to moan. I'm very grateful to you guys for allowing me to get this off my chest.

Can I ask if any of you have had this and dentist kinda implied that jaw joint problems can occur with CTD. Is this the case? Is this something else to add to my list?

Thanks for listening xx

Mrs M

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi Mrs M,
I get terrible pain in my jaw on the right side, the dentist has told me that i am clenching my teeth & it is that which is making the pain in my jaw, and yes i've caught myself doing it & it is differcult to stop when i am so stressed at the moment,
So it maybe a bit of teeth clenching, wisdom tooth problem as well as the infection.
And yes it can all drag us down, i hope the meds kick in soon.
Are they going to take the wisdom tooth out?
Gentle hugs,
Sandra.

·
Registered
467 Posts
:wavey:hi mrs m

as i used to be a dental assistant i think i can say that you most likey have an infected wisdom tooth. i'm also fairly sure that they'll will want to take it out, and quite honestly i would suggest you do so. since we lupiods can get infection easily it mite be pruedent to have it out. warm salt water rinses will help along with the antibiotics. and this pain will go up your jaw even create headaches.

hope you feel better

hugs and kisses

·
11,409 Posts
(((Mrs M)))

Teeth pain is one of the worst to have.
I hope the antibiotics soon kick in to give you some relief.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou ladies for your kind words:)

I think I let everything pile up yesterday and it got the better of me:lol: I'm able to fight the pain today as I'm in a much better frame of mind:lol: Oh well I'm sure we all have our off days!!!!

Mrs M x

PS maybe they will have to take the wisdom tooth out but I'll cross that bridge when I need to :hehe:

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Hi Mrs. M - so sorry you're having dental pain, I know it's awful.

I had a tiny bit of food stuck behind my molar once, and the tissue around it swelled up unbelievably (I looked like I had one-sided mumps), and it was incredibly painful - I was sure I had an abscessed tooth! I went to a walk-in medical clinic on the weekend, and they gave me penicillin and said I should see a dentist within 24 hours. I went to an emergency dental clinic the next day and they took x-rays, and found no abscess. They put me on some strong anti-inflammatories and antiobiotics - apparently penicllin isn't the antibiotic of choice for dental infections - and I felt better within hours.

Just another possibility, and a potential alternative to having your wisdom teeth out! Glad you're at least dealing with the pain better today, but it will be much better to have no pain to deal with!

Lisa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts