The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to stop the anti-inflammatories because I am having surgery on monday. My rhuematologist asked me at my last appointment (last monday) if I thought they were working for me. I said I didn't think they were doing anything. I felt the same as I did before I first started taking them. Well, having stopped them now, I can tell just how much they were doing for me. :eek: Perhaps I got worse without knowing it? The pain and stiffness today is awful. It's going to be a loooong time until surgery monday. Ya'll have any non-med suggestions? If I sit or lay in one position too long I get stiffness and pain here and there and if I try to move around I get pain in other places. I sure would appreciate anything you can tell me. On the bright side, it's good to know that medication IS working for me.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Christian,

Many of us have had a similar experience, either with NSAIDS or Plaquenil or something else. I think when we feel crummy most of the time we don't notice the gradual improvement from a medication until it is removed. I remember when I had to stop my mobic for a week before my hysterectomy I was not a happy camper. I did take extra Norco (narcotic pain med) as I was permitted per my prescription. Beyond that I stopped any activity that I could. That meant floors weren't swept and other light housekeeping chores I was doing at the time.

There are OTC pain relief creams/ointments available at the pharmacy. Zostrix is one of them. Stay away from the ones containing asprin and ibuprofen. I can't remember if you can take tylenol or not but I believe you can since the Norco I took had tylenol in it. There are also creams that have a tylenol component to them.

Hang in there,
Karen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts