The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope all is well if you were in an affected area. I experienced one in Germany, a 7.something, so fairly powerful. Quite an experience !

Clare

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Oh! There was an earthqauke?? Nope didn't feel it unless it wasn't actually hubby snoring :lol: (not that he does often - poor man)

I did feel one when I first came to Belgium. I think in 1990 or 1991. It was really weird as I woke up in the middle of the night with wardrobe doors banging and the house shaking and I just thought "Oh, it's just an earthquake" and went back to sleep. All pretty odd considering I had never felt an earthqauke before!

Anyway, as you say, I hope no one had any damage...

Katharine

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Katherine I should imagine that was the same one as we felt. The epicentre was south west Holland about 100 miles from Bonn where we were, just over the border, so not so far from you either I imagine.

:)

Clare

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Yep Clare, that must have been it. I think we also had another a few years back but can't remember when.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here it is : I remember now it was a strangely seismic way to start my birthday ! :rotfl:

The Roermond earthquake
On April 13, 1992, an MW 5.4 earthquake occurred near the city of Roermond in a focal depth of about 17 km. This so-called Roermond earthquake was the strongest event in Central Europe since 1756

Wikipedia.

I remember wrongly - it was south east Holland and 5.4 so this UK one was only a bit less.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi all,

I saw it on the news last evening, and was thinking of you all. Hope everyone is OK

Wow, what an experience waking up to something like that... 7.0 is not something to sneeze at for sure!

Hope you all have a quieter day :)
Take care,
Sharon

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi clare

I slept right through it!typical :rolleyes: hubby felt it though,gave him quite a shock!

I also hope everyone is ok
luv karen x

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, it woke up both myself and hubby, luckily though not the kids, they seem to be able to sleep through anything! Our families live near the Buncefield oil depot that exploded and my first thought that it had gone up again, but hubby checked on Sky news and said it was an earthquake. Nobody in our street seemed bothered by it, no lights came on or anyone looking out of their windows, but it made our house shake for about 10 seconds and I thought the mirror was going to come off the wall, it was quite scary, but obviously not on the scale of a 7. something one.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
No..I didn't feel that one! :lol:

Growing up in Southern C.A. U.S.A., I felt them often. I remember, our dog used to run and hide..minutes, before they hit. She always knew one was coming.. before we did.
We would have pictures hung on our wall sway frequently, and came to think nothing of it..Stange, what a person becomes accustomed to.

The really bad one that hit in the early 70's rolled me right out of bed!
I was in my early teen's then, and not really alarmed at the time. I do remember seeing the devastation on the news, fallen freeways..and building, and loss of life.

Now, of course if one were to hit, I wouldn't be able to tell if I were having a
lupie attack or if indeed, it were an earthquake. :lol:

I am very glad, that your all safe..and not badly shaken. :)

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes,We felt it!Woke me and my husband up.I thought the house was falling down,but he just woke up saying 'earthquake',then we both thought we'd dreamt it.My 6 year old and toddler slept through it...amazing,as it shook the whole house!and yet,if I creep past my son's door early in the morning,he's awake straight away!:rolleyes:
Julsie

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yes1

Was reading in bed around 01.00hrs when bed strted to shake, then very heavy mahagony triple wardrobe stated to shake and rattle. Was like a poltergeist (I imagine).

I leapt out of bed and nearly cleared all the beds of children, but husband stayed calm.

Eldest son and I weet downstairs for a bit before going back to bed because both chickens. The other 2 stayed fast asleep.

Very odd experience.

·
Dee
302 Posts
Oh yes I felt it, shook the whole house, scared the living daylights out of me.
About 15 miles from me a chimney dropped onto a 19 year old while he slept & broke his pelvis, from what I can tell from the news that was our only injury in this area, not bad to say it felt like the house was falling down :sad:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
we slept through it, :) but my sister said it scared her, as the dresser in the bedroom felt like someone had got it and dropped it it was that loud

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I got up to go to loo at 1am and I heard a noise downstairs - it sounded like someone was at the bottom of the stairs and lasted about 10 seconds.

I was a bit freaked but went back to bed. This morning I got up to feed the dog and when I opened the hall cupboard everything fell out over my feet. Things had fallen from all the shelves.

The press did report it was felt in Scotland and also Amsterdam but who knows.........:shrug:

Or maybe I just need a spring clean LOL! :lol:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

WOWWWW

I am so glad to hear everyone is okay.That would be rather scarey definately.I cannot say i ever expierenced earthquake in my life.
Pam how funny :rotfl: spring cleaning.I just wish us in illinois would get any kind of weather that looked like spring is behind the corner.

Well i sure hope anyone in the area of the earthquake is okay and sending lots of (((hugs))).

Tammy

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Glad you are all ok :)

I experienced one when I was in my early teens and I was staying overnight at a friends. I was sleeping in her bed and it shook everything, she was on the floor sleeping and only stirred mildly :rotfl: Well she tried to sleep, I made sure she woke up :lol: The whole family and everyone else in the neighbourhood raced outside - eery experience, especially if you have never experienced one let alone a reasonably obvious one. I've only ever felt mild tremors but I remember that one vividly.

love
Lily

1 - 16 of 16 Posts