The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is recently diagnosed and she is having to pay extra at Uni for a disabled room. She needs the room as it has supports in the shower and toilet for when she is having problems getting around. Is it fair that she has to pay extra? Where do I go for advice please?:ermm: :?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi,

I work at a University and am not familiar with this but I do know that most Universities have a department for helping all students with any disability. I would call the University and request for this department to explain the protocol for dorm rooms. Our University here has a excellent program to help all students with a disability.

Sharon

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It doesn't sound right/fair to me. There should be some sort of organization in your country that deals with disability rights - hopefully someone will come along knowing what that is for you.

If she is getting a private room with private bath/shower while other students have to share baths or (shudder) go to the communal bathroom/shower as I did... then it would make sense that she would have to pay more. I know there were a few select rooms in my dorm that have private bath and the students lucky enough to get them had to pay more.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes get in touch with disability services in student support-they have been fantastic with me!!!

good luck!
Rachel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts