TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you in Scotland that pay for your prescriptions, you will be aware of the recent reduction in costs. When I saw my GP today he recommended that I opt for the annual prepaid certificate to save money. This also applies to sunscreen, topical lotions, eye drops and oral medications.

From April 1st 2008 the new charges are as follows:
  • Single prescription has been reduced from £6.85 to £5.
  • 4 monthly prepaid certificate has been reduced to £17 - for patients that require more than 3 items in 4 months.
  • Annual prepaid certificate has been reduced from £98.70 to £48 - for patients that require more than 9 items in 12 months.
Please note: if you already receive free prescriptions you are not affected by this.

For further information please go to: www.scotland.gov.uk/healthcosts or http://www.infoscotland.com/prescriptions

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
301 Posts
NHS Charge in England

I have just this evening renewed my PPC for this year. It has cost me £102.50 for 12 months. You can have a three months for £27.85 if you prefer. As my Kent HA will only allow one month's supply of drugs on one prescription, every month I have 6 drugs so I should be paying £41 a month for my drugs, I make quite a saving.

What insenses me are the criteria for exemptions. There are so few exemptions allowed. For example, my (usually) healthy husband has Type 2 diabetes and is on medication (one drug per month) is exempt, whereas we lupies who may have many drugs to keep us anywhere near functioning are not exempt, unless we have certain thyroid conditions. My friends who have MS are also in the same position unless they can prove they cannot go out without help.

Gone are the days of the "free" NHS. I shudder to think what my dental bill will be on Thursday.......:rolleyes:

Soapbox over

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Pam :hello: :wavesmile: :hello:

Thats great news for those who live in Scotland, i would be happy if it applied to the rest of the uk too.

Is anyone aware of these changes eventually coming to the rest of us?

I have to get the prepaid prescription certificate as i can get up to 14 items in one gp visit so it would cost me £95.90 at the current prescription charges, so i am quids in as they say, i couldn't afford to take all my meds and get all the creams and my compression stockings (you can only purchase compression stockings in pairs but they charge one prescription fee per stocking, the stocking only last 3 months and thats if you don't catch them and tear them).

So i would be extremely happy if these changes applied to me too - now should i move to Scotland!!!!!! :rotfl: :lol: :rotfl: :lol: :rotfl:

Thanks for informing us of the changes.

Take care :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Good news for Scotland!

It would be great if it applied to all of the countries in the UK in the end, but Scotland have a sepertate health authority ours does not follow the same agenda.

I have had to use a pre-payment certificate for 6 years now just due to eye problems (dry eyes etc.). One of these two conditions can lead to glaucoma developing! When I ask about exemption no one seems to know if my named eye complaints fall into the exempt category! My eye conditions appeared whilst pregnant for 3rd time. So at age of 34 I was told treatment for my eye is here for life but I can only be exempt once I get glaucoma. Nobody else in my family suffers from glaucoma if they did I would be exempt for eye test charges now!

Now I have SLE and require more meds - I will have to plod on using the pre-payment certificate regardless as it is the cheapest way until retirement, unless changes are afoot!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
642 Posts
I too use a prepayment card.

The exemption rules are a bit random:(
A friend with thyroid desease does not have to pay anything. Why is that?
What exactly is the government criteria for exemption?
Since heart disease is the biggest killer in the UK and statins and hypertensive medicines have the highest levels of non-compliance, shouldn't the gov exempt payment to encourage their use? Got to be more cost effective in the long run.
I know we still do better than other countries but I like these things to have some kind of logic.

Sorry ......little rant there:blush:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts