The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi does anyone know where I can find the list of UK prescription spf lotions/creams now we have the sun here in the UK?

I was prescribed the E45 one last year but was allergic to it.

I have used Ultrasun on my very fair daughter over the past 10 years and she has never burnt, even in the Med so thought I might give it a go as you apply it once a day (45 mins before exposure). I have read all the threads in the medication section but couldnt specifically find a list of those spfs which are available here in the UK on prescription.

Thanks in advance!

Hugs to all

Julia x

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Julia
I was first prescribed ROC but it was only 25 SPF and not strong enough. I have now been prescribed an Australian one called Sunsense which has a high SPF about 60 I think, not tried it yet as have been using up the ROC. I am very fair skinned with Red hair, so being in the sun is a nightmare at the best of times without the Lupus to now also consider.

Hope this helps a bit

Take care

Love
Meryl

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Julia
Your pharmacist will be able to tell you which are prescribable but I'll have a look for the list
I use the Aussie Sunsense too and like it very much because it absorbs quickly and in my opinion should be undetectable, although as I have to wear make up over it I can't be sure of that. It does make a good makeup base.

I also can't help with the allergy issue but you could investigate the ingredients of the E45 to see if there's anything in there that is a known allergen.

Remember the best sun block is staying out of the sun : sun block is the last line of defense and is only as good as it is sufficiently applied

Good Luck

Clare

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Clare, does the Sunsense leave any white residue on your face at all; I get large brown patches which is a rare side effect from the plaquinel (Dr D'Cruz says thats what the problem is and that its very rare)?

My husband plays cricket at the weekend so I need to use it then, as well as all the time really due to the brown patches occuring if I go into the sun (even pottering around!) I spoke with the duty dr today at the practice but she couldnt find ultrasun on her bnf or computer so she couldnt prescribe it.

If anyone has a website address etc where I can view the prescription list it would be very much appreciated.

Hugs to all!

Julia x

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi julia!

Like clare I also use sunsense sunscreen..It's the only one that doesn't flare my skin,I love it!!

I use the sunsense ultra for my body and the sunsense daily face for my face.Its fab it absorbs in very well & is also slightly tinted which is ideal for my very pale face :)

My doctor has just recently agreed to prescribe them for me which I am delighted about as I buy the pre-paid certificates.so I hope your doctor can do the same!

I did come across them on a website for sun protective clothing...Here is the website,I have tried to post the link but not sure if it will work as I haven't done it before :rolleyes:

http://www.sunsibility.co.uk/shop/shop.asp?id=175&pid=175&cid=33&pcid=0

good luck julia & if you really do have to be in the sun remember to cover up well,wear a big hat & try to stay in the shade.

take care...karen x
p.s julia sorry I meant to say that the daily face leaves no residue at all and is a matt formula.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts