The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Im flabbergasted at an error that my Rheumatology Dept made. Let me explain.

I was down in my Dad's house this evening. He died in January and his house is up for sale. I had gone down to check things and collect any post that still might be arriving. I noticed a letter on the floor from his hospital (he attended the same hospital that I do). I didnt look at the name and address too closely at first. My first thought was 'stupid hospital - I cant believe they are writing to him).

I opened the letter and I couldnt believe what I was reading. It was a report about me which was obviously meant to be sent to my GP! It was a review after my last visit to my rheumy (pretty normal after every visit). I then checked the address and it was addressed to my dad alright - but with Dr. in the title.

I just cant figure out how they made that mistake. Perhaps my Dad's name is down on my file as next of kin, but what a stupid error to make :mad: Im really taken aback by this. I will, of course, get on to them in writing and ask for an explanation. In addition they made an error on their comment about my medications - leaving one out completely.

Oh and the other thing I found out is that I am osteopenic (result from the dexa scan I had a while back). I forgot to ask about this at my last visit and it was never mentioned. You would think it might have been mentioned especially as I was complaining of severe lower back pain.... :mad: Huh.... Im rightly annoyed now.....Heads will roll....

Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
((((((Joan))))))

I don't know what to say except firstly you know how sorry I am about your Dad. :hugbetter:

This is inexcusable under any circumstances and I am shocked and stunned! You must be feeling all over the place - upset, angry and let down to name a few.

You are still dealing with the loss of your Dad and having to finalise everything without this adding to your grief. Let the hospital know the full picture so they realise the distress this has caused you.

I know it's hard but you will feel like going in with all guns blazing - take some time to write it all down as you'll be going over and over in your mind what you want to say.

Look after yourself - this is the last thing you need right now. Let us know how you get on.

Lots'a'luv,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would be ticked off too. So many errors all over the place - where to start?! Sending your confidential medical information to your dad instead of you, the title error of doctor, and NOT telling you about osteopenia. Much less, not discussing starting medication to improve that at your follow up appointment.

I know you'll address the situation forcefully, and I hope they learn from all their mistakes.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
DEar Joan,
Not only was this upsetting, you also had the news about your bone density in a not very good way,
I wish you well in your complaint, this is a terrible breach of confidentiality.
x Lola

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((((Joan))))))))))) They sound like a bunch of incompetents! :mad::mad:You give them a piece of your mind and make sure your Rheumy finds out about it too, so she can put her 2 cents worth in and make sure somebody gets their wrists slapped.

love
Lily

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I would be very upset too! What an unbelievable mistake to make :mad:

I'm stunned....
Katharine

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
How dreadful....

I hope you get seome answers Joan x x

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The papers here would have a field day for a decade with this one. Wars have started and governments fallen, slight exaggeration but certainly people's lives could be ruined by this sort of idiocy
All the babble about confidentiality and Data protection, and then one careless cretin ......................... It hardly bears thinking about ! Imagine all this stuff on PC's and they keep telling us they are hacker proof etc etc Just one finger on the wrong button .............
Very remiss of your docs re the osteopenia. It's a shame when you lose faith in your docs reliability. Reading test results is pretty basic.

Many hugs

Clare

·
Registered
642 Posts
Good heavens:eek:
I think Clare is right...........one careless cretin.
Or to be more precise.......one ditsy clerk too busy discussing what she did the night before to pay attention to her computer screen thus entering the next of kin as the GP:worried:
(Can't you tell I work in health care:wink2:)

Joan does this mean that your GP has received no information about your hospital visit, your medication changes.............and most worrying the results of your bone scan.

Good luck in rattling them cages.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi Joan,

First of all I am so sorry about your dad...
I dont blame you for being upset... I would be bringing letter and envelope back to your doctor and show him what happened.. by the date stamped on the envelope they should be able to tell who was working that day... People should be accountable for their mistakes, so they dont make the same one again....
I just read an article the other day on the mistakes that are made because of doctors handwritting... not to say this is the case...
I hope you are getting rest and looking after yourself....
Dealing with a parents death is very difficult.... My heart goes out to you... Take care

love Penny

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
(((((((((((Joan))))))))))))

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your dad..my sincere condolences to you & your family joan.

I can only echo everyone's response to that letter!!..I'm absolutely horrified!
good luck with your complaint,please let us know how you get on.

so sorry about your scan results :sad:
big hugs to you :there:
lot's of love karen x

·
Registered
869 Posts
Joan,
My condolences on the loss of your dad. Various places still send things to me in my dads name, my brother and mom get stuff too, even though we all live far from one another, it always hurts a little bit as it is a sad reminder.
As for the medical error, I too would be ticked off, makes you wonder who else your info has been sent to. It was remiss at the least for the Dr. not to have told you about the osteopenia:mad:......hang him high Joan!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Joan, condolences on the loss of your Dad!

Personally I'm not in the least suprised that such a mess-up has happened!

When I was 12 I had minor eye surgery scheduled for one eye to tighten a muscle! Woke up with both eyes operated on - they did the wrong eye, so both ended up being tampered with! If that wasnt bad enough the procedure was overdone so had to back in again for corrections to be made!

I have had a few more things go wrong in hospitals, but I wont say more as I dont want to put people off them completely!

Take care and I hope you get the medication issue sorted!

Lesley

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
wow, that is pretty bad ......

reminds me of the time the hospital muddled my daughters results for her kidney tests with another child who had much more wrong with her.

My daughter only had urinary reflux, and the other child had a very serious kidney condition. They muddled the names, so I got the report on the other child with my daughters name on it, while the other family got my daughters report with their childs name one it.

Boy did the hospital grovel and apologise, they were SO embrassed.

On one hand when hospitals get it wrong it can go badly wrong, on the other hand we are all human and can make simple errors.

Definitely ring the hospital and let them know about his one, what an awful thing to happen.

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the condolences on my Dad's death :foryou:

I rang the hospital today (Patient Representatives Office) and a woman there was very apologetic. She asked me to send back a copy of the letter to them with a cover letter and they would investigate how it happened. She looked up my hospital file and, sure enough, my Dad is listed as my next of kin (better make sure I take that off!)

Im still not sure if it was the Rheumy's registrar that dictated the letter incorrectly or if it was one of the secretaries who made the error.

In any event they will investigate it and get back to me. Probably just as well the Rheumy's Registrar is moving to another hospital soon! ;)

Now I have just gotta concentrate on what I can do to prevent any more bone thinning!

I will let you know the outcome - probably in 2009! Stupid hospital....

Lots of love and thanks again
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Weight bearing exercise is great for preventing/reversing osteopenia. If you can manage that at least. This is the one many don't think to do - often people will jump to calcium supplementation and the osteoporosis meds ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Joan,

I am rather late with this post, but I wanted to send my condolences, regarding your father's passing.

I think, drs. keep a lot of info from us. I was told by my neuro, about a pea sized tumor, in my brain, but had to get copies of the reports to find out, it was a glial tumor.

I then saw, a neurosurgeon, who told me that Glial tumors are not dangerous, and most often children get them..He said, he didn't think, I have a tumor, but couldn't tell me what the "abnormality" is..

Senator Ted Kennedy, was just diagnosed with a malignant Glial brain tumor, that is inoperable.

The same diagnosis, I read in my report. I don't know, what to believe.

I think, often drs.have a fatalistic view of us with Autoimmune diseases, in general..Maybe, they decided amongst themselves, I am too ill to undergo treatment? Who knows...The surgeon told me that there was no medicine, they could give me.

I have heard on tele shows, than in case of an Avian flu, outbreak those like us, would be left to die..I understand the concept, but think that may be the general attitude by some drs..toward us.

Back to you..I hope, your osteopenia, is treated soon. I hope the mistake is made right..and that you get an apology from whomever is responsible.

It makes one wonder, what other mistakes are made that we never learn of..

Feel Encouraged, I wish you comfort.

Sandy

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Joan,

At least they are going to investigate! I would not send them your orignals though, photocopies would be sufficient for the investigation, a copy of the envelope too (showing the frank mark).

Always best to hang on to the evidence as once out of your hands may get lost in their system again!

Lesley

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Joan,
I am really late with this post, but wanted to say that I am very sorry about your dad. I also want to ask if it is possible to ask for your results every time after a procedure? It seems like you really can't rely on them to notify you. I am quite:eek: at this whole ordeal and that is why I felt compelled to post even though it is a week late. I always call or try to get a copy of my results because things fall through the cracks all the time here;)

With all your knowledge I am sure you are ready to fight this osteopenia!!!!

Many Hugs,
Becca

1 - 19 of 19 Posts