The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:unsure: Just out of interest has any one diagnosed or undiagnosed with lupus had abnormal liver function test results. anna

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Anna,

Your question leaves me a little unsure whether you have had an abnormal liver function test or not?

As lupus can affect any organ, it is perfectly possible for it to affect the liver even if it does tend to prefer the kidneys.

Katharine

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi katharine, since christmas i have had 4 liver function tests that have been abnormal, just wondered if other people who have lupus symptoms have had abnormal lfts. anna ps 6 weeks ago i had a kidney infection and blood in my urine not sure if it figures in the symptoms catergory

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Medication we take can often cause abnormal LFTs. Autoimmune hepatitis is also a possibility, as well as other autoimmune disorders which can affect the liver. Of course, drinking alcohol can contribute too! What have your doctors done/considered is the real question since you've had 4 tests come back abnormal?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi maia, i have woke up this morning and i dont feel well at all, anyway i have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy 4 wks ago and i still havnt got biopsy results i tested positive to smooth muscle antibody. thanks anna x:sigh:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((Anna)))))))))) I'm sorry you are feeling so unwell this morning.

This is the time you need to see a doc so they can witness your symptoms and hopefully hurry up those results you have been waiting for, it shouldnt take that long to come through. Have they done a liver biopsy yet to try and diagnose what is going on?

Lupies do get kidney problems but it's not in the form of infections as far as what they talk about for symptoms. If you had a kidney infection you would normally get some protein and blood related to having the infection. That should be rechecked though and if the infection is gone then your urinalysis should be clear of all that. Has your doc followed up and done a repeat urinalysis to make sure it's all ok now?

I noticed you take Detrusitol for a leaky bladder? I'm not familiar with that drug but know that a lot of drugs in that class can cause dry mouth issues so I am wondering if that is where that symptom comes from, it's a distinct possibility, unfortunately it's one of the very common side effects.
If you are still leaking it should be checked also, you may need to change dosages or it could be tied in with your recent kidney infection.

I hope the rest of the day is a little better than it has started out for you.

love
Lily

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Anna!

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling unwell. I hope the rest of the day gets better for you.

It is a bit concerning that you have had multiple abnormal LFTs in addition to testing positive for smooth muscle antibodies. The smooth muscle antibodies can be linked with autoimmune liver disease. Has your doctor done additional liver panels to check for viral hepatitis as well as autoimmune hepatitis?

LFTs can be abnormal for a variety of reasons, including viruses and medication. The doctors become concerned when the ALT and AST levels are WELL above normal (3-4 times the normal upper limit). For example, if the normal AST range for your lab is 24-200, the docs generally would be concerned if your AST was 600 or higher. That's just an example, though!

It sounds as if your doctors are being thorough, given you've had several tests done. I hope you get results soon!

Terri

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi lilly, i havnt had a liver biopsy but i will get an appt to go back to see my gastro consultant once endoscopy and colonoscopy results are through. thanks for advice on dry mouth .anna x

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi terri, as far as im aware my doc hasnt done additional liver panels to check for viral hep and autoimmune hep,i dont know what my LFT range is they dont part with that info maybe i should ask. anna x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts