The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All
I started thinking about this because I was intrigued by a mention of eating 'arctic' meat. I read the threads in reverse order latest post first, so as I read down I saw that ' arctic meat' would for example be seal liver and huskies.
:rotfl: Then I had wild visions of Karol in New Jersey getting fresh seal and cod liver, huskie and whale meat flown in from Alaska.

Of course what is unusual depends on where you live and what you usually eat as well as personal preference. It would be very unusual for me to eat a deep fried battered Mars Bar, I'd have to be literally starving. Same for having fries with pasta.

The most unusual foods I have eaten are ostrich and crocodile, not English staples, especially as I got them at a village butcher in north east England about the last place one would expect. I wanted kangaroo too but they had sold out as it seems that is as popular as the ostrich.

The ostrich steak was absolutely delicious: wonderfully tender, no fat, no waste, with a gamey taste slightly reminiscent of liver. The crocodile was worrying, although I would try it again with a proper recipe, but I had few ingredients to hand in my holiday home. I think a good sauce might make all the difference. The taste was a really off putting oily fishy turkey breast mix. The texture was rubbery and chewy - again maybe a cooking fault.

I could have got boar and venison at the same butchers but I don't regard them as weird because they are raised in the UK although they are not everyday for me and I might have to shop specially for them.

I also had a buffalo steak with my friend in North Dakota. It was disappointingly tough as my pal acknowledged. I think that would be difficult to obtain in the UK so unusual for me on a couple of scores.

Lamb is just not the same without the redcurrant jelly and the mint sauce a British habit that I know foreigners think is really bizarre.

I wonder if anybody has tried really 'exotic' foods and also what people's food no-nos might be.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Clare your just hysterical!!!!!

I have NOT tried any real exotic foods nor do I plan on trying it either.:lol::lol:

By the way, I won't try to fly anything in from Alaska either.:rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
81 Posts
utterly disgusting

Hi all,

I have eaten ostrich in a burger in Calgary, and I thought it was delicious. I have had venison that was very tough, and I have had moose meat that I thoroughly enjoyed. (I'm very much a carnivore).
But the absolutely worst thing I have ever eaten was on a trip to Honduras. It seems (at that particular restaurant anyway) that they leave no part of the animal wasted. They served cow utter:eek:. Our entire group tasted it and all agreed it was disgusting.
But you don't know til you try it!

Tammie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
:lol: Wild boar (and it is wild here), dear and ostrich are all common here - all very tasty. One thing I rather like about game (don't think ostrich is really game) is that it hasn't been fed antibiotics in its food.

Unfortunately (unless you own a restaurant) finding good quality steak is almost impossible so Wild boar (or maracassin - baby boar) or dear is often a lot safer if you're inviting someone for a good meal.

The things I won't touch (freely available in France) are brains and horse meat. The horse meat wouldn't actually make me sick (I'm an "unfeeling" person who believes that once it's dead, it's dead) but as horses have been part of my life for the most part of it, I wouldn't choose to eat it.

Katharine

·
11,409 Posts
:eek: Some of your exotic foods! Made me :sick: :hehe:

Ok I have tried venison, which I will only eat if it is made into summer sausage. You can have the steaks, roasts.:p

I love ground buffalo meat. Very tasty and it is low in fat which is better than just hamburger.

I have eaten frog legs and elk oh and octopus.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
580 Posts
one of my favorite foods to eat is actually octopus, keebler i can make a delicious salad with it. (more like a ceviche) eeewwww clare:lol::lol: i dont think i will ever bother with the crocodile the way you described what it taste like doesnt sound to appetizing:lol::lol:.

i did try venison, it taste a little like steak to me. i used to love whole crabs but too bad cant eat that anymore.:sad::sad:

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Love this thread!

Years ago I had an adventurous dinner in Guyana, and tried iguana, the local deer, and some kind of large rodent similar to a guinea pig, but bigger. I liked the guinea pig, but even with a curry sauce the iguana still tasted like you'd expect a lizard to taste like...

I've tried guinea pig in Peru, but I had trouble betting past the presentation - it was deep fried whole, and it just looked too much like a pet.

I've also tried bison steaks (which I liked, it's quite lean so you just have to be careful not to overcook) ostrich steaks (same), and a fabulous venison and blueberry pot pie with a merlot gravy.

I do try to sample some of the local delicacies when I travel, even some of the less appetizing ones...

Lisa

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh Clare this had me in fits laughing thank you.
WellI used to be BA trolly Dolly (millions of years ago) and was therefore exposed to some honestly fantastic delicacies but also some putrid offerings. The best fish Ive eaten was in the West Indies, flesh fantastic but the ugliest creature Ive ever seen (cant remember what it was). The best meat - well say no more than Aberdeen Angus fed on clover here in the NE.
The worst, well here goes - I was part of a large group of people in a lovely restaurant on Victoria Peak in Hong Kong. Shreaded duck was brought to the table, however theyd left a leg whole on the top of the plate. Me being a greedy blighter grasped the leg and started devouring it! ;) I commented to the rest of the group that it was very tough to which they responded " well it will be cos thats its beak"! :sick: Serves me right I guess
Also was served sheeps eyes in Abu Dabi, and brain in Kuwait - yuk yuk yuk! :sick:
However I have eaten locust in Malaysia - crispy and not bad at all really.

But finally my mother (who has a wicked sence of humour) used to feed bulls testicals to my father (she didnt like him much as you can guess) and tell him it was the butchers choice! :lol: Believe me he deserved them!

Thanks Clare

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
What an adventurous bunch you all are! :)

I recently decided to order 'Wild Boar sausage' as a starter on a menu in a rather swanky hotel on my holidays. Well, the sausage arrived looking the spitting image of a particular body part which I have never personally possessed ;) Despite the off putting sight (sorry lads!) I delved in and to be honest I found it very tough and with a flavour much too strong for my liking. It actually made me want to gag...

My other adventurous food was shark. I was in another swanky bistro many years ago and there was shark on the menu. Of course I didnt want to order it cos being the greedy individual I am I wanted to be sure that I would eat what I was getting so I ordered the lamb instead. However I did ask the waiter if the chef fancied cooking me a little piece of shark just for a taste and he did! Anyway, it was horrible - sort of like a pork chop texture but with a very strong fishy taste. Someone asked me one day if I could describe the taste and the nearest description I could come up with was it tasted like I imagined a Rhino's buttocks would taste like....

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had some Shark from Ecuador once….More meaty than I thought it would be, and rather bland….Maybe should had had some spices ???

What I really liked was Alligator Meat…..Those Gators sure are tasty !!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi everyone!

I've led an adventuresome life - from a food perspective, anyway! I grew up in the US midwest, and my large extended family all hunted. I've had all the usual...duck, goose, pheasant, quail, rabbit, deer, elk, etc. But I've also had bear, moose, opossum (yuk!), squirrel and caribou. I've eaten eel, squid and octopus, plus some very strange Chilean seafood that I do not know the names of in English. I've had a couple types of snake, turtle and alligator to cover the reptile end of the spectrum. Frog legs were a delicacy, and my dad really liked fish eggs.

Although it is not considered a "strange" food, I have fabulous memories of hunting through the woods in the spring in search of morel mushrooms. Mom would fry them in butter, and they were so delicious! I haven't had one in decades.

Terri

1 - 11 of 11 Posts