TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I went to my Rhuemy last week. He sent me out for blood tests. I believe he's looking into something other than lupus. I told him of all my joint pains, my chiropractor visits and findings. My inner ear and dizziness problems. Had all the doctors i saw fax him over copies of my records. Explained my TMJ problem and my appt with the dentist.

I am wondering if the Rhuemy is looking for arthritis problems,or something associated with my joint pains. I go back in two weeks.
Mean while i have seen the dentist. I do have tmj.I am in the process of getting a mouth guard made up. My lower jaw is in while my upper jaw is showing an over bite. My teeth are slanted to the right. I have a few cavities that he will repair. And some old fillings that are worn down. Part of my crooked mouth and tongue is from the TMJ. My left shoulder is dropped down and my jaw is giving me problems with head aches,neck pain and swollowing due to the jaw position. Everthing the chiropractor said was right. Your jaw can cause your spine to hurt,your back and your hips to be out of place. The jaw is connected to the spine and effects these parts of the body. My dentist is interested to see the Rhuemy results if arthritis is setting in. My dry mouth problem he recognized . So i am on my way to getting my mouth straightened out that is causing all these physical problems on that end. I spent 2 and a half hours at the dentist today with physical exam of my mouth,ex rays and mouth mold made up. I go back tomorrow for more on the mouth guard procedure. The dentist asked if my rhuemy said i have something like frimaliga or something like that. What is that if you have any clue to what he is talking about?
hugs, florie

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Florie

Im glad you are getting your TMJ problems sorted out :hugbetter:

I think your dentist might have said Fibromyalgia? TMJ is very common in people with Fibromyalgia so Im pretty sure thats what he must have said? Have a look at the attached link and see if it helps.

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_tempero.html

Other symptoms associated with TMJ is pain in front of the ears and ringing in the ears, etc.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joan,
And thankyou for your reply. The website info was very interesting and helpful. I think fibromyalgia is what the dentist mentioned. Since the Rhuemy did blood work will fibromyalgia show up in the test?
I developed Tmj due to a car accident over ten yrs ago.So i believe this is the trauma part mentioned. With having lupus i guess that could have contributed to the tmj and being on pred's for a while. I will have to wait for the blood work to see if there is any additional developments effecting this.
Do people with Lupus develope Fibromyalgia also?
And i guess having sjogen's is no help to the teeth either. The dentist also agreed that i do have dry mouth. Problems problems,but hopefully the mouth splint and some dental care will give me relief with time.
florie :)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Fibro does not show up via bloodwork and cannot be diagnosed in that way. It has many symptoms in common with lupus, and is diagnosed usually via the pressure point testing, in which a person will have pain at many of the most typical fibro pain points. There are some excellent sites on the internet which will give diagrams illustrating those spots. Did your rheumy press on many locations during the exam and ask if they hurt? That's called the pressure point exam and is done to diagnosis fibro.

Hopefully you'll be getting some relief soon from all these symptoms. There are some medications approved to treat fibro if you also get that diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Florie,

Thank you, for updating us about, your jaw problem. I have been thinking of you, and hoping your better.

It sounds like your dr. is on the right track. I am happy, to know.

Take Care,
ox Sandy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts