TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just to let you nice peeps know how its going. I had my first appt with consultant today and i think it went quite well. :)
She said my list was extremely helpful and she wished more people would do it. After reading my list she asked me some questions, then did some feeling proding and reflex bashing. after which we had a chat. She did say that everything so far pionts towards connective tissue disorders, but is reluctant to give diagnosis or treatment til rest of results are back. I was sent for more bloods , also an echo and 24hr tape to rule out heart activity, she spralled staff all over forms. and i got squeezed into a cancellation( there has to some perks :hehe:). so i am sitting here all wired up and very tired from being at the hospital all day.i asked what kind of treatment i should expect and she said what i think was the proper name for plaq but cant remember.

anyway i think all this quite positive so far and will go back in 2 mnths. hope you are all well

·
4,428 Posts
Hi Angie, sounds good.. you were well prepared too which definitely helps. The name she probably used was hydroxychloroquine... which is plaquenil. I wish they had been quicker starting me on that as little else really helped. However the rheumy was reluctant to diagnose me whilst my bloods were changing... finally did so after a flare.. I have MCTD. I wish you all the best on your journey!
Claire X

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi angie,

I'm glad to hear that you feel you had a positive appointment :) It is so much easier when we don't have to worry about how we'll get on with the doc or if they'll take us seriously. It's also good that she appreciated your involvement in getting ready for the appointment and read your notes.
I recently saw a doc that didn't and I must say that I wasn't that impressed by him as it is far clearer than hit and miss questions. There's no way the doc nor you can remember all the questions/points to be asked/put across so a list is very helpful.

Like Claire, I too presume that she was using the generic name for plaquenil.

Katharine

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Angie,

Wow that sounds like a long day. You were definitely lucky to get your echo done quickly. Let us know how all the tests turn out once you get them back.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Sounds like a good appt. the bashing is I think to ascertain you neurological state to measure against the drug at a later date ( make sure there's no drug induced neurological impairment)

wish more docs were like this one she sounds great.....I have just posted about the plaq it will help xx

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Angie,
That is wonderful that you had a good appointment, wish all of ours went that well. So you can pick up anything right now any good shows on lol. Ok maybe not that funny. I am glad that they are checking everything for you and you do seem to be in good hands. Let us know how things go when you go back, You make me want to see your doctor instead of mine. I did want to say the don't think plaquenil is an instant drug as it can take up to 6 months to start working at it's best. I hope you too are feeling well and doing well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts