The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am sorry I have not posted since my operation on the 23rd. I have been trying to get my head around everything really, as it didn’t go according to plan……which is an understatement!

I was mean to have a major operation and my gynae said he and the bowel consultant were going to do all they could to try and get my life back on track.

Thus the reason for the wonderful ritual of a bowel prep the day before. So I arrive at the hospital and my consultant takes me in a little room and chats about what is going to happen, just going over everything that we have talked about before, all seems OK.

I had to wait for hours again to go down to the theatre, as it seems he likes to save me for last. So I go in and when I wake up in the recovery room, they say to me “it’s all over, you have had your diagnostic laparoscopy”. I thought I misheard as I was slightly out of it!

So back on the ward I keep asking the nurses what has gone on and nobody tells me anything for over fifteen hours apart from “your consultant needs to see you in two weeks time”.

Luckily I got a really good nurse for my discharge and she says that I am not leaving until a doctor talks to me! Great!

My consultant's registrar comes to see me eventually and basically tells me what a complete mess my insides are, far worse than they had anticipated (I won’t go into details as it is too gruesome) and as there was only a bowel registrar present they couldn’t carry out the procedure needed. And it was too dangerous for my consultant to do anything without the bowel consultant present. She then said I was a problem case and that my consultant needed to see me in two weeks time to discuss what was going to happen next.

The two weeks have subsequently changed to twelve weeks (which I am obviously not happy about) as my consultant is off on his holidays for two months!

So after weeks and weeks of preparing myself for this major operation I am no better off than I was before, although I have a better understanding of what a state my insides are in!

So that was about three weeks ago and since then I have been stuck in bed most of the time and tired beyond belief.

I am seriously considering not putting myself through all this again, I really don’t think that I can take it. So I don’t know what my options are. I guess I will just have to carry on as before and see what happens!

Thanks for all of your support!

Regards

Star

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
HI Star,

I am really sorry to hear that you are stll in pain and still no better off. It must have been a big disapointment for you.

I guess the only good thing is at least the surgeons had the insight to realise their limitations and not to be irresponsible with your life. Attepting something too difficult for them could have left you with a perforated bowel, or stoma or worse. So in that respect it is a good thing they were cautious, not cowboys.

Still, it is a blow for you, and a long uncertain wait.

Rest up, and all my best wishes coming your way:there::pansy::flower2::flowery:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Oh Star :(

I don't know what to say. I can only begin to imagine how you must be feeling about all that.

As Cath said, the only consolation is that they were careful and didn't take a terrible risk with your health.

sending lots of hugs of all shapes and sizes,

:grouphug2: :hug: :grhug: :there:

Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Star,
Well a few more explanations straight away may have helped. I am not surprised you are disappointed, and waiting another 12 weeks is a let down.
Thinking of you,
x Lola

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
(((((((Star))))))))

Sorry this happened to you.

I am surprised at best that they did not know the state your insides were in before the surgery.:worried::worried::worried:

With Cat Scans, MRI's, Upper GI studies, etc...I am just shocked that they were not prepared for what they saw.

I Hope that you get the help you need to straighten things out and get on the road to feeling better again.

The bowel prep can be a real bear but on the flip side I guess it is good for all of us to clean out the ol' colon once in a while.

I hope you continue to get back up on your feet and again, sorry this happened to you.:(:(:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
(((Star)))

I'm so sorry to hear about your surgical troubles. I'm not sure where you're from, but is there any chance that you could see someone else in your bowel consultant's practice that will be covered by your insurance? 12 weeks seems like a really long wait on something serious, so maybe you could use that to pressure them into getting you some help sooner? If not, is there anywhere else you could go for help? Sorry I can't give any other ideas to help out.:sad:

I hope you feel better and get some help soon. Take care.

-Envy

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
That is just horrible and I can understand your anxiety. Going in there and having to deal with all the stress of the surgery and not to even have it ! And then to have to wait all that time again? But as said above, it is good that they did not proceed and had the common sense to realize that they needed the additional docs in there to do it.

Boy oh boy. Are you happy with your consultant? If not , I would go and see someone else if you can. This seems very unfair to you.

I know it is causing a great deal of stress, but try to get some rest for now and put your thoughts on the back burner.

I hope that things work out for you and that you get some answers soon about what the next step is.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh Star,

That is so cruel and unprofessional to leave you hanging like that. Do they not understand everything you went through physically and mentally to prepare for major surgery? Doctors continue to amaze me with what they do and get away with. Thank goodness you had at least one good nurse and you have a better understanding of what you are dealing with.

Keep your chin up and hopefully you be up and about soon. I think it may help you get through this easier. I know when I was on bed rest, you had all the time in the world to think about stuff. But if you can get around, you can do things which will hopefully distract you a bit from thinking about this.

Best of Luck. I know it's not easy.

Nutty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts