TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the gp yesterday to get my bp checked out it was 130over80

then checked it 2more times before i left and was 124over80. i think i had white coat syndrome when i went to see the rhumy last week. i always get nervous before seeing him. so i guess that explains why my bp was high.

i have a lump underneath my breast and it turns out that its an infection.

they put me on the cheapest antibiotic they have since i dont have insurance
(no sulfa).

she also gave me a referral for a mamogram and an ultrasound of my breast.
she said they felt a bit bumpy. so now i have to get that done i dont know how im going to get that done with the insurance. does anyone know where i can get one for free or maybe alot cheaper?

(JOANDUBLIN, I HOPE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE SETTLES DOWN SOON:) :)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Sushi, where do you live again? In the USA, there are many different programs aimed at providing women with free basic medical care including pap smears and mammograms. Most doctor's offices that provide the services should be able to provide you with the information, otherwise I would recommend contacting a hospital social worker or a social services agency and asking them for possibilities in your area.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maia, i live in orange county ny. im going to call the hospital and social serv. first thing in the morning. thankyou:) :)

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Sushi

I sure hope you can get that mammogram done :worried: Please let us know if you have any luck with the Social Work Department.

Thanks for the good wishes. Im keeping fingers and toes crossed that tomorrow I will wake up and my BP will be stable. Well one lives in hope ;)

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maia, Joan, i contacted social services but didnt get any help from them because i would have to apply for medicaid which i dont qualify for (tried that) but i did contact the hospital and they gave me a number. its a program which offers free basic medical care like exactly what you said maia pap smears, ultra sounds, mamograms etc.

I was so happy to have found this place i made an appt for a pap s. and an ultra sound. but since im 39 i have to wait until next year to get the mamogram done. Or better yet i rather pay the amount of 208 dollars which is not that bad. at least im getting other services for free. so i want that thank you so much maia for your advise. it really did help me find a place where i can get services for no cost at all. i didnt think they had this here.

thank you thankyou thank you.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That's great news Lydia!

It's so good to see what a difference these boards can make to our lives and health!!

I hope all the examinations go well and I'm so glad you don't have to put your health aside because of money. It is far too important.

Katharine

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sushi,
Local breast cancer foundations here offer low cost mammograms, as do some local hospitals the week of Mothers day (50$). Maybe you could check those out too:)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you very much Katharine for your good wishes. you are 100% right these boards are amazing they definetly are a life saver.:wink2:

hi neongirl i hope everything going good with you. i will definetly check into that. :) :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sushi,
I go to a teaching hospital in Atlanta Ga they have a reduced fee for people who don't have insurance. I paid $85 for a MRI $25 for x-ray and mammogram was $20 or $25 . The other thing is some cancer foundations do some test free so call your local number for them .
Good Luck

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you so much for your input hopefull1, thats who i contacted the cancer foundation, they are the ones who helped me.

I got an ultrasound done and am awaiting the results. they cant pay for mamogram because im just 1 year shy of turning 40.

So i have to maybe contact a couple of hospitals around my area and find out if they have the service for less.

I also got an appt to get a papsmear done may 3rd. FOR FREE:) :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you so much neongirl, ill let you know the results soon.:) :)

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Sushi,

Look in your phone book and see if you have a local branch of Catholic Charities in your area - they will often pay for one time medical fees but not ongoing. Also the Salvation army may have a medical unit in your area - I have no idea what they do or don't do but worth checking into.
Often the Social worker at the hopsital or at a food bank will have lists of local charities and are knowledgealbe in what each one does.

Hang in there,
Karen

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you guys are incredibly supportive. thank you for being there for me.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts