The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

After a battery of testing it was found that my mom is not a candidate for open heart surgery. Her lungs are in bad shape and they are not confident that they will be able to get her off of the breathing machine and her ejection fraction for her heart is only 10%. The doctor said she would not survive the surgery.

Tomorrow morning they are taking her into surgery and putting a defibrillator in so that if she goes into V-Fib again it will shock the heart back to working again. According to the surgeon she is in end stage congestive heart failure and was given 6-12 months left to live.

Hopefully we will get to bring her home on Saturday and life will settle down some. From now until the time God takes her home she will continue to go into congestive heart failure so we will eventually look into hospice care at home for her.

I am grateful for all of the support from every one here and appreciate all of the stories others have shared with me as well. I miss being a active part of this board and miss everyone too. I hope life will calm down along with the chaos around me and soon be back to chatting with old friends and welcoming new ones too.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Karol, I'm sorry to hear about your mom's health. I hope that she is comfortable. I will pray for her and your family. Wishing you comfort in this rough time.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Karol:hug:

Thanks for the update on your Mum. I am sorry for you that the news was not great for her, but I have heard people (namely healthcare professionals) talking about these internal defib things and they can make a difference, and it will give you some more precious time with your mum which is always great.

I hope that the surgery today goes well and sending you all lots of hugs and thoughts to you all. Please keep us updated.....

I know it is probably difficult but don't forget to look after yourself, make sure you get some rest.

Claire

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((Karol)))))))))))) :( what a sad and stressful time for you all. I hope the procedure goes well today and she can at least be made comfortable for the time she has left :( Take care Karol, and we miss you too :grhug:

love
Lily

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
(((((((((Karol))))))))))

I'm sorry to hear that the news is not better than it is but hope that things will go well enough for your Mum to have some peaceful time at home :hug:

I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Karol,

Will be thinking of your Mum today and hoping that the procedure goes okay!

:hug: Hugs to you, your Mum and the rest of your family!

·
Registered
631 Posts
((((Karol))))

I am so sorry to hear your news.
I am hoping and praying that the surgery goes well today, and that she is comfortable for the time she has left.
Love and hugs to you all

Elle x

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
((( Karol ))) so sorry to hear your news. I hope the surgery goes well for your mom. I wish you and your family the strength to deal with this. I wish your mom peace and comfort. Thinking of you

Deb x

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much.

The surgery went well without any complications thank god.

We thought we could bring her home tomorrow but the doctor is suggesting that she has rehabilitation physical therapy before coming home. My mother, as sick as she is told the doctor he was out of his mind and she would do her therapy from the comfort of her own home.........she wants out of the hospital.:lol::lol: She can be very feisty!!!

I am guessing by Monday we will be able to bring her home and move ahead from there. I have already told my brother that he needs to step up to the plate now since he lives with her and start taking on the chores that my mom used to do.

He seems more then willing to help so we will work together and get things done. I will be busy setting up home care for her which will include physical therapy, respiratory therapy, wound care, etc...

Again, i am grateful for all of your support and well wishes and I hope you all have a enjoyable, pain free weekend.:wink2:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Dear Karol

I wish you and your Mom well in the days ahead. We all have to face our 'maker' at some time and I think it is the kindest experience if we all face it together. I hope when my time comes near that I can make it easier for those I leave behind but I have no idea if that will be a gift I will be given. I hope so.

I am very humbled by my next door neighbour who has been given approx 3 months to live with brain cancer. I spoke to her the other night and she said that she is not afraid to die and she would rather spend 3 good months with her family than 'extra' time in the hospital with treatment that was not going to make the outcome any different. I hope that when my time comes I am given such time.

In the meantime just make the best of what you can and prepare yourself for the days ahead. The world is a very different place without your Mother and we will be here for you in whatever way we can.

Much love
Joan:rose:

·
11,410 Posts
(((Karol))

I am glad the surgery went with out any complications.

Life is short and we need to take in every second, every minute and enjoy them to the fullest.

I love that your Mom is feisty. :lol: Love that she told the doctors no and she wanted to go home. Good for her!

Sending love and hugs your way.

Lyn

·
Registered
553 Posts
Karol

I am pleased to hear that your mother has come through her surgery well, she sounds like a bit of a character and appears to have plenty of fighting spirit in her as the doctor found out... good for her. I think I would prefer to recover at home rather than be stuck in the hospital.

I wish her a very speedy recovery and that you both have lots of quality time still to spend together.

Take care of yourself

Claire xxx

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Karol,

I'm glad to hear that things have gone well so far. Sounds like your Mum has a great character :)

Wishing her a speedy recovery and you some rest and peace :hug:

Katharine

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are all so special to me and I truly love each and everyone of you.

I come here quickly to check and update and it lifts my spirits to know I have a second family who cares.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
u welcome gentle hugs to u and your mum lv countrylass:)

·
florie
589 Posts
Hi Karol,
I called you tonight just before you were leaving for the hospital. I am glad i had a moment to talk to you. I hear the tiredness in your voice. I just wanted to let you know that i am still with you and hoping you will try to take some rest time. I know this is a hard situation. But you are doing the best you can. Love to you,Mom and family.
florie

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Karol,

Just wanted to send you some :grhug: hope you are able to get a little time to rest during all this ((((((((Karol))))))))

love
Lily

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.