TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone wear UPF clothing? I already have a few pieces from last summer, and just purchased some Eddie Bauer capris. The bottoms (e.g., pants, capris, shorts, skirts) seem to be all made of nylon or a nylon mix. Apparently, the new synthetics are breathable, but I haven't had any real opportunities to test out how they fare in hot and humid weather. Has anyone given them the real test of breathability and UV protection? And does anyone have any recommendations for some stylish stuff? :)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

Yes, I have some UPF clothing and find it much cooler than any other clothing despite its seemingly "synthetic" feel. I suppose it is the sun protective element in it but it really stops me overheating as I usually do and I love wearing it - now all I need to do is find some less sporty/flashy stuff - I stick out like a sore thumb in our quiet country area :hehe:

Katharine

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Katharine. Are the clothes that you have loose-fitting? I'm wondering if that would make a big difference. Also, are you talking about 30+ C temperatures with humidity?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
There's a product called Ritguard that you wash into clothing. Also if you wear two lightweight garments the amount of UV is considerably reduced by the two weaves overlapping and blocking each other. The less light visible through fabric ( or hats) the more UV proof it is.
The only remedy I know of for the intolerability of humidity and heat is called air conditioning and the indoors. I hate being hot for any reason indoor over heating, or out.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Yes, that's when I find them the most useful. Belgium does get surprisingly hot and "heavy" through being in the middle of a landmass. Obviously it is not the Bahamas... we usually go up to about 35-38 degrees.

My main "issue" with sun protective clothing is the lack of choice (I can't order anything from the US as duty for us is crippling) and the cost of it. Clare's Ritguard suggestion is one I've been wanting to try out but haven't yet found a supplier.

Katharine

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi

has anyone tried clothes made from bamboo? Supposed to keep you cool dont know about sun factor though.

dixy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone tried Ritguard? I'd be interested to know if it actually works, and also if and/or how it changes the texture of the clothes. I haven't actually seen the product here in Canada, but I have never looked. There is a product called Rit Sun Guard available on a major US online merchant (I know I'm not supposed to say the name); I'm assuming this is the same product?

Clare.T;545674 said:
The only remedy I know of for the intolerability of humidity and heat is called air conditioning and the indoors. I hate being hot for any reason indoor over heating, or out.
I'm with you, but sometimes A/C just isn't an option. :sad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts